cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After performing a "Repair" from Vista's "Programs and Features" the TaskBar Icon no longer works the same as it used to in BE SR 8.5 Desktop Edition

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
As the subject states i went into Vista's "Programs and Features" and then clicked on "Change" and clicked on the repair Radio Dial and then rebooted my machine.  I was able to peform a backup to a locally connected USB External Drive but the Icon did not change to a check mark like it used to. When I pass my Mouse over the icon it does say "Backed Up".

The reason why I ran the repair was because I have been having some problems backing up to a network drive and I thought that the installing and uninstalling of another program might have effected BE SR 8.5 Desktop.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
Marco,

Now that you have explained it the light has turned on over my head (LOL).

I will try it.

Thanks!

John

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

marcogsp
Level 6
Is the client side firewall enabled?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290775.htm

Have you run Fixinstall.bat?  it is located in \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
Marco, Thanks for your input. I was not aware of the Fixinstall.bat application. I do have the Windows Firewall disabled but have McAfee Security Center which has a Firewall and will verify that the VPTray is not being stopped.

After I rebooted a second time (after performing a backup over my Network) the Icon started working. You would think that the first reboot, after I ran the repair, would have taken care of this. Who knew that I had to do a second reboot.

John Torres

marcogsp
Level 6
John -- I learned about the file in this forum myself.  A word of caution though,  the last time I ran the Fixinstall.bat on a Vista box, I ran into trouble around line 74 of the batch file:

rem register COM .dll files in the Common Files\Symantec Shared directory
cd %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery
regsvr32 /s ComConfig.dll ComLicense.dll EventMonitors.dll NotifyHandler.dll VProAuto.dll VProObj.dll VProScheduler.dll
V2iMountService.exe /regserver

I had to manually unregister the dll files -- regsvr32 /u -- and then register them manually.  In both cases I had to do this one dll at a time.  I also ran the

V2iMountService.exe /regserver

command manually too.  After all this the appropriate BESR services were able to run again on the Vista box

Added July 7, 2009 --

Contents of a batch file that will accmplish the above:

REM ===========================================================================

REM Stop BESR service

net stop "Backup Exec System Recovery"

REM Unregister DLL files

regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComConfig.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComLicense.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\EventMonitors.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\NotifyHandler.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\SreAPICom.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProAuto.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProObj.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProScheduler.dll"

REM Register DLL files

regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComConfig.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComLicense.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\EventMonitors.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\NotifyHandler.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\SreAPICom.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProAuto.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProObj.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProScheduler.dll"

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\V2iMountService.exe" /regserver

REM Start BESR service

net start "Backup Exec System Recovery"

REM ===========================================================================

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
I never ran the FixInstall.bat because I thought that it was working. The orginal problem that I reported here was that the icon was no longer working but that issue has been resolved.

What I am finding now is that I cannot successfully backup the D: Drive to a Network Drive. I run four Backups a week.

1.) C: Drive to a Network Drive (Always successful)
2.) D: Drive to a Network Drive (This Backup consistently fails. It never goes further than 1%)
3.) D: Drive to an Externally Connected USB Drive (Always successful)
4.) C: Drive to an Externally Connected USB Drive (Always successful)

Backups 1 & 2 Target are on the same Network Drive but different directories
Backups 3 & 4 Target are on the same Locally Connected USB Drive but different directories

I looked at the Event Viewer and see the following error:

Event ID: 8194

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {7bff7e05-6a2d-4082-9372-58cd32b6b09e

I have looked at the properties of both the C: and D: Drives and it looks like VSS is working.

I did a Google Search on my issue and it stated that I should attempt to make Permission Changes using the Component Services MMC Snap In but I do not know exactly what to change on my Vista Ultimate machine.

I need assistance please. I do not think that uninstalling and then reinstalling Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop 8.5 would fix the issue (but I could be wrong). I vaguely remember that in LiveState an occasional fix for certain things would be to create a new Backup Job but this Event Viewer error seems to be pointing to a VSS Permissions problem.

marcogsp
Level 6
John -- I wonder if the technote below would apply:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307579.htm

Applying the diagnostic .REG files might improve throughput when writing to your network drive.  It might also be a good idea to try the spanning images suggestion.  I'm assuming your D: drive is much larger than C:, thus producing a larger image.

Beyond that, You may want to try disabling the making of shadow copies for drive D: to see if that has an affect. Look under  Computer.....Properties....System Protection....System Protection tab  and uncheck Drive D: to disable the creation of restore points

Marco

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
I have always had BESR create smaller files, 100 MB in size, for my backup jobs.

I am kind of leery about disabling VSS. These jobs used to work and I really believe that it is a permissions issue.

Both of my hard drives are 500 GB in size and, in fact, the D: Drive has 81% Free and the C: Drive has 80% Free.

I see no reason why the job for the D: Drive is consistently failing other  than what I see in the Event Viewer.

marcogsp
Level 6
John -- Disabling the the shadow copies for your volumes will not affect any other applicatiions interaction with VSS.  The VSS services are invoked as needed.  The worst part of the scenario is that it destroys the previously made Windows restore points.  BESR restore points will still be intact.

Which segways to resetting the security settings.  Disable the shadow copies (System Protection) for the volumes, reboot the system, and then re-enable the shadow copies on the volumes.  This will reset the security settings needed by System Restore and System Protection, albeit at the cost of losing the previous Windows restore points.  Again, BESR restore points will still be intact.

Cheers,

Marco

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
Marco,

Now that you have explained it the light has turned on over my head (LOL).

I will try it.

Thanks!

John

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
Marco,

Your fix worked. I removed the check mark from Shadow Copy rebooted & then replaced the check mark and then created a Shadow Copy. Last night's backup of my D: Drive was a Success!

Thanks very much for your help. It was very appreciated!

John Torres