cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After restore of win 2003 sbs with Symantec System recovery 2011 I get "Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed Because of the Following Error: Directory Service Cannot Start"

AJINC
Level 3

Hello All,

I had a server crash and I am using the Symantec System Restore 2011 to bring it back. I have a raid 5  with a C & D volume on it. I reinstalled Win 2003 SBS OS by using the Symantec System recovery CD to boot the restoring the c drive the system rebooted and I got the erro

"Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed Because of the Following Error: Directory Service Cannot Start"  I thought that I needed to restore my D drive because my NTDS is on the d:\windows\ntds folder but after restoring the D drive (26 hrs) I still get the "Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed Because of the Following Error: Directory Service Cannot Start" error. I booted in Active Directory restore mode and I see my desktop icons and some things work like symantec endpoint protection is communicating with my clients so I must be close. Anyone have any ideas where I went wrong witht the restore.

Thanks for any thought clues.. .anything

AJINC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AJINC
Level 3

You are correct "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!"

Thanks for all your assistance.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Start over. First use your Raid utility to delete and recreate the Raid. Then boot to the SRD. Restore the C drive first with the "os booting" and "MBR" selections checked. Uncheck the box at the final screen that says "reboot when complete"

When C drive completes, do not reboot and immediately restore the D drive.

That should do it.

AJINC
Level 3
  • Hi sorry it took so long to get back. i followed your instructions to the letter but  get the same results any other ideas to repair this?

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Time to open up a support case...

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Let's talk about the backup files.

1. How far before the server crash was the backup performed?

2. Do you have a backup that was performed previous (days or weeks before) to the one you are trying to restore?

3. Was the Backup performed from the Windows environment or from the SRD environment?

AJINC
Level 3

Thanks for sticking with me,

I was going over additional articles and I saw something about "tombstoned AD records" over 60 days  unfortunately the backup had stopped running and I never realized it. The SRD backup is 108 days old and is the only one avalable. The backup was performed in the windows environment but i am trying to restore in the srd environment.

I had a backup exec backup but it is about as far back, unfortunately I couldn't get the BE backup to catalogue the backup files after I reloaded windows 2003 sbs and install BEWS 2011 that is why I tried to use the SRD backup to get it restored.

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Your best option at this point is to open a support case with Symantec Support.

AJINC
Level 3

New News!!!

I rolled the clock back to the date of the backup and voila' the server booted with out the error message.

My concern now is what will happen when I roll the clock forward to today's date

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Excellent, I would think that as long as you change the date and time while it is up and running, when you shut down and reboot, the new date will be saved in the AD.

AJINC
Level 3

You are correct "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!"

Thanks for all your assistance.

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Glad you got it worked out. Could you please mark one of your posts as solution to close out this thread?