cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After updating VSR desktop from 21.0.1 to 21.0.3, tray icon suddenly disappears when backup starts

JosdV
Level 2

Today I upgraded from Veritas System Recovery version 21.0.1 to the latest version 21.0.3

The issue, which I encounter with this new release (21.0.3), is:
- When the computer starts and I logon on to Windows 10 Pro, the little red tray icon is visible
- When a planned backup starts the red tray icon normally show a small green "play" sign in the red tray icon, but instead of this, the red tray icon disappears from the tray and never comes back again (unless you reboot your PC)

I am aware of the entry in the C:\ProgramData\Veritas\Veritas System Recovery\settings.ini file (TrayRunConsole=0). That line workaround has already been in the software from version 18.0

Could someone help me out so the red tray icon wil stay there when VSR is performing a backup?

19 REPLIES 19

akihiro1
Employee

1. Please check if the VSR icon move to the hidden icons.

2. Please check your Event Viewer application logs. Are you able to find application errors for VproTray.exe ?

3. VSR icon appears again when logging off and logging on.

4. My VSR icon is working fine when backing up on VSR 21.3. My Settings.ini has the below parameters. Please compare the parameters with yours.

[Settings]
ShowWelcome=2
ShowOptIn=0
TrayRunConsole=0
ShowEULA=0
RunLiveUpdate=1
RunEasySetup=1
DeployAgent=7
ResetUserPreferences=0
TrayLogoffDateTime=132563223590000000

5. Which did you use "System_Recovery_21.0.3_62137_Multilingual_Product.zip" or "Veritas_System_Recovery_21.3_Patch_64.zip" to upgrade from VSR 21.1 to 21.3?

I have noticed this behavior in several PCs after upgrading to v21 SP3. They are all running Win 10 Pro 20H2. It occurs on PCs that were updated with the patch or the full multilingual product. In my case I have noticed the error if a missed backup message pops up at logon or some type of error message pops up at logon. The tray icon is visible after the messages but if I hover over the icon with my mouse the icon immediately disappears. The issue disappears after a backup is completed successfully. Event viewer shows the following error when the icon disappears:

Faulting application name: VProTray.exe, version: 21.0.3.62137, time stamp: 0x600b5960
Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, time stamp: 0xf963cc3a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000011cc3
Faulting process id: 0x27a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d705b865c6a82b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Veritas\Veritas System Recovery\Agent\VProTray.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\OLEAUT32.dll
Report Id: 81c4599c-f289-4342-9e8e-2d1ad20b699c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

My tray icons are set to always show all and Settings.ini parameters agree with your example. Logging off and logging back on restores the icon but it continues to disappear when I hover over it with my mouse.

Yes, me too.  I was about to create a case when I saw this.  Thanks for raising this issue.  In my case, if the system is booted up and the "do you want to run missed backups" message pops up, all is well if you say "yes".  If you ignore or say "no", the icon disappears after a few seconds.  This bug was introduced in 21.3.  Need a fix from Veritas.

gardis
Level 4

Great that I'm not alone!

We run Veritas System Recovery on four Windows 10 computers and since we updated to the latest version, the icon is completely crazy.

The icon problem has even caused our computers to crash.

The error occurred in the program named: VProTray.exe, version 21.0.3.62137, timestamp 0x600b5960
, error occurred in module named: OLEAUT32.dll, version 10.0.19041.804, timestamp 0xf963cc3a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Error offset: 0x0000000000011cc3
Process ID: 0x2ff0
Program start time: 0x01d705e0a4dd566b
Program path: C: \ Program Files \ Veritas \ Veritas System Recovery \ Agent \ VProTray.exe
Path to module: C: \ WINDOWS \ System32 \ OLEAUT32.dll
Report ID: ec168ece-0ed6-4f4e-b344-9c6679bfd857
Full name of incorrect package:
Program ID relative to incorrect package:

Grateful for a quick fix, Veritas!

gardis
Level 4

Friends.
I just created a new support case: 210218-001660.

I hope it helps everyone!

Thanks gardis!

Please keep us posted on support's solution.

gardis
Level 4

Hello!
I have fixed all error logs to the support and received an update today.
"This is Globally known issue in VSR 21.3, we are working on it".

I will return when I know more.

akihiro1
Employee

Hi all,

Engineering released an fixed binary (VproTray.exe) today. This binary is for customers that have a support contract.
To resolve tray icon issue, please open a new support case.

In case that you have no support contract, please wait for the next release. The next release should be provided with the fixed codes. However I have no information when it is released.

gardis
Level 4

Hello everybody!
A correction here because @akihiro1 writes that there is a solution.
There is no solution, even though so much time has passed.

I am in contact with the support every day (we have a service agreement) and they cannot say when there is a solution. Instead, they want us to use VSR 21.1. I think it is poorly managed by a company that works with backup software.

akihiro1
Employee

Downgrading to VSR 21.1 was an only workaround until we complete the investigation.
Because VC++ 2019 has been implemented from VSR 21.3, and it was a cause.
VC++ 2010 was used on VSR 21.1, and we thought that VSR 21.1 can avoid the issue.

Now we can deliver the fixed binary on VSR 21.3 since we completed the investigation from the dump file.
So to get the fixed binary, please open the support case.

@gardis
If possible, could you please provide your support case? I wanted to confirm how the case was managed. The support engineer might not explain in details about workaround and solution.  

I know a customer where the tray icon never gets crash after applying the fixed binary.

Hi there! 

My case number is 210218-001660.

I opened a case on 2021-03-03.  The case# was 210303-002256.  Support provided me with a new VProTray.exe and installation instructions.  I did some limited testing and the crashing issue is no longer occurring.  I noticed the file version is 21.0.3.1.   Based on the conversations above, was this the correct fix?

P_Jeal
Employee

Yes, the version of file you have been provided is correct, as the internal build number of VSR 21 SP3, is 21.0.3 and the newer version of that VProTray.exe file, including the fix, is 21.0.3.1.

gardis
Level 4

Hello again!
Now I also have the new VProTray.exe with version number 21.0.3.1.
Everything works perfectly again.

Thank you @akihiro1 for your clarifications.

akihiro1
Employee

Hello,

We have published below for this issue. As far as I know, all customers that encountered this issue confirm that the issue is gone by a new binary VproTray.exe. 

VProTray icon often disappears or VProTray.exe gets crashed.
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100049703

This issue will be resolved in the next release. If you have no support license, please wait by the next release. Main functions like backup/restore/email notify/conversion work with no issue. VProTray.exe only provides the function to notify the backup status in the task tray while you are logging on.

Thanks,

akihiro1
Employee

Currently the hotfix for vprotray.exe is published. This is for customers that have support contracts. 

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/downloads/update.UPD564107

hello unable to download says I must login yet I am logged in.

So to be clear an update breaks software then you must pay for support contract to fix?????

akihiro1
Employee

akihiro1_0-1620270177533.png

In my understanding, you can download the file after logging on if you have MyVeritas account without the support contract.

2j4b
Level 2

above solution does not work for the 23 version. I can get the systray icon working by setting the TrayRunIcon to 0; but the signaling messages are not working: no active action is working on "run missed backups" , nor are the messages from the list of errors visible, let alone activating.

anyone an idea ?