cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All RPs except one erased if recovery space size limit is reached

PJ_CBL
Level 3

Here are the facts :

We use Symantec recovery system 2011 for weekly back up of a SBS2011 standard server (3 partitions / disks).

Each recovery point (base RP + incremental RPs - all 3 disks) is around 100 Go. We have set a limit to the maximum space used by recovery points at 500Go on a 1To network disk having more than 750Go free (not including the RPs). So, in application of this article of the KB : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH152893

we were expecting to have at least 4 RPs left at any time on the network disk. Unfortunately, we noticed that when the size limit is reached (i.e. after the 5th base RP, somewhere at the 2nd or 3rd incremental RP) all RPs are deleted except the last.

I already searched in the past discussions and found only one relevant thread closed without satisfactory solution. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-system-recovery-erase-all-recovery-point-exc...

Does anyone have a hint about it ?

Thanks in advance and please apologize for my poor english...

Pierre

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you confirm the following please:

1. What service pack of SSR 2011 are you using (check in Help/About for version details)?
  2. In the backup job, what have you set for 'Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup' to?

PJ_CBL
Level 3

Thanks for your care.

1) The version number of SSR2011 is 10.0.1.41704

Note that our version is localized in French (don't know if this has any influence)

2) there is no limit set to the number of RPs for this backup (see attached image - in French ;)

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, I'm pretty sure you have run into a known issue with the product.

The fix for this will be in the next service pack (SP3) for SSR 2011.

If you cannot wait for SP3, you can get a copy of the pre-release fix by opening a case with support and asking for it to be escalated to backline.

Hope that helps.

PJ_CBL
Level 3

Thanks!

Any date for SP3 ? (if not too far, I can manage to survive with manual "cleaning" of old RPs - 1xmonth)

criley
Employee Accredited

SP3 should be available next month (date is subject to change though).