cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to convert BESR 2010 backup image to VM only with ".v2i"

ckjacky
Level 2

Hi,

I have taken Backup from Dell T3600 using BESR 2010 recovery media. Which contains only .v2i and doesn't contain .sv2i file. In VMware vCenter Convertor, it will look for .sv2i file. Hence i am unable to convert this backup to VM.

I tried restoring this to VM using BESR Recovery Media, even this failed.

Also, i have trouble in restoring this backup to another physical hardware which is different from T3600, (Dell T5500). Is this not supported?

While restoring using recovery media to VM or Different Physical Disk, it looks like it has restored. But, once it restart it indication no OS found.

And one of the simillar backup doesn't restore, instead at the end of restoration, it shoots error "Error EA3905E3: Bad file record signature". I checked the solution http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126288 and set the disk size accordingly. Basically the original T3600 HD size is around 455GB and used memory is around 49GB, hence set destination disk size to "149GB", which is well above the limits(129GB) mentioned in this tech solution. Anyone experianced simillar problem?

Any suggestions to restore this backup to VM or Different Physical Machine(T5500) will be of great help.

Regards,

Jaggi

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

I have taken Backup from Dell T3600 using BESR 2010 recovery media. Which contains only .v2i and doesn't contain .sv2i file. In VMware vCenter Convertor, it will look for .sv2i file. Hence i am unable to convert this backup to VM.

Why not use BESR to do the conversion? BESR can convert using only the .v2i file.

Also, i have trouble in restoring this backup to another physical hardware which is different from T3600, (Dell T5500). Is this not supported?

Yes, restore to different hardware IS supported.

ckjacky
Level 2

Checked with BESR 2010 "Run or Manage Virtual Conversions". Even this needs ".sv2i" file to make the conversion of any other computer than self. Backed up system was T3600 and don't have access to that system. I have BESR Installed in another system, which is T5500, where i tried this option to convert only with .v2i file.

Also, i got failed to restore this T3600 backup to T5500 system & VM. It looks like restored, but when boots up message apears as "An Operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don contain an operating system".

Any other suggestions?

criley
Employee Accredited

Just use 'One Time Virtual Conversion', you can then choose 'File name' in the 'View by' drop down box. Then browse to your .v2i file.

Hope that helps.