cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anzahl der Laufwerke die nötig sind um ein vollständiges Backup zu erhalten

Realemi
Level 2
Guten Tag, ich hätte eine Frage bezüglich der Laufwerksanzahl die benötigt werden um ein vollständiges Backup erstellen zu können. Wir haben einen Windows Server 20003 R2 mit einer Systemfestplatte [C: / D:], dazu noch drei eingebundene 1TB Datenfestplatten. Wenn ich nun ein Backup des Servers beauftrage, werden mir folgende Laufwerke angezeigt: 1. Sys C: 2. Data[C:\fs\4\] 3. Data[C:\fs\X\] 4. Data[C:\fs\Z\] 5. Data[D:\] Meine Frage ist, muss ich um ein funktionierendes Backup bei Ausfall der Systemfestplatte zu erhalten, alle Laufwerke sichern, oder reicht es wenn ich nur die Systemfestplatte (1. / 5.) sichere? Mit freundlichen Grüßen Realemi
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

does the recovery recognize the other three disks and migrate them as it was before?

A restore wont migrate the other 3 disks/partitions. It really depends if you are restoring to the same or different hardware? If the same hardware, you'd just restore the partitions that were lost and the other partitions would remain as they are.

You also need to take into consideration if the partitions are on the same or different physical disks.

does the recovery overwrite the existing data on the other disks?

It wont overwrite existing data as long as you direct the restore to the correct disk.

Personally I would recommend you test a restore, perhaps into a virtual environment. That is likey to answer most, if not all, your questions.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hi,

For a full recovery of the server, consider SDR, or Symantec System Recovery for servers.

If you want to do this on a file level, then your selections are fine. You would need the System State and any data to recover the server, but include the full C:\ drive as well.

Thanks!

Realemi
Level 2
Hi, we have the Enterprise Edition: Symantec System Recovery 2013 which used to be named: Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition So, if I understand you correctly, I would have to backup all drives to get a working backup...? Regards

criley
Employee Accredited

That depends what data is stored on the other drives.

For example, you may have MS Exchange related data on other disks. In which case, you'd need to backup C plus the additional drives that contain Exchange data in order to restore the server fully.

If you could explain exactly what data is stored on each drive, we could provide better advice.

Realemi
Level 2

Server is a WHS 2003 R2 (no Exchange)

Data:

1. shared folders

2. duplicated folders

3. client system backups

4. system

If I would backup only the system disk(C:D:) and the disk would one day break down

and I would then recover the backup on a new systemdisk, does the recovery recognize

the other three disks and migrate them as it was before?

On the other hand, if I were to backup all disks, but only the system disk fails and I would

recover all disks, does the recovery overwrite the existing data on the other disks?

I'm sorry, this is the first time configuring a server backup, so please excuse my lack of

knowledge.

Regards,

criley
Employee Accredited

does the recovery recognize the other three disks and migrate them as it was before?

A restore wont migrate the other 3 disks/partitions. It really depends if you are restoring to the same or different hardware? If the same hardware, you'd just restore the partitions that were lost and the other partitions would remain as they are.

You also need to take into consideration if the partitions are on the same or different physical disks.

does the recovery overwrite the existing data on the other disks?

It wont overwrite existing data as long as you direct the restore to the correct disk.

Personally I would recommend you test a restore, perhaps into a virtual environment. That is likey to answer most, if not all, your questions.

Hope this helps.

Realemi
Level 2

Thank you very much for the help. I will do as you suggested and test a

restore in a virtual environment.

Best Regards,