Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate / Script System Recovery Policy Creation

elaguni
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Gurus,

Would like to seek for your advice regarding our current situation - deploy VSR 2016 on 3 sites with about 80 - 200 machines each. No VSR central management. Backup will be dumped to shared drive.

We've gone past the installation part, but I would like to ask for your advice / suggestions how to go about automating / scripting creation of backup policies. Only a handful will have peculiar backup selection/destination/retention, so it would be extremely helpful if we can automate creation of policies for similar machines.

7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited

Is there any particular reason why you are not using central management?

The VSR Management Solution is specifically designed to provide policy-based central management, so would seem a good fit for what you want to do here.

elaguni
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi criley,

I agree. Unfortunately, all I know (as part of implementation team) is that the customer didn't purchase that solution. That's why post sales team is scouring for an efficient way to get this done sans the central management tool.

criley
Employee Accredited

The Management Solution is actually free.... you only need the client licenses (which I assume you already have).

You just need a dedicated 2008 R2/2012 R2 server to host the management server.

elaguni
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I'm trying to locate the VSR Management Solution 16 but I'm getting SSR 2k13 so far. You happen to have the link where I get can it? Thank you very much for your help!

criley
Employee Accredited

elaguni
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you again, but it looks like this pack doesn't work anymore.

I downloaded the VSR MS zip file (checksum ok) but when I ran any msi in that pack they said they need to be run/installed by the installer framework.

After searching the web, I tried installing SIM pack from Symantec though it's for 2013 - it also failed to finish installing because it's looking for a valid product listing that's located on solutionsam.com/solutions.

I thought I'd just close one eye and just configure the policies one by one. But after 20 policies, my hands starts to hurt and what I'm doing is a one way ticket to carpal-tunnel synd.

Please help save my hands!

criley
Employee Accredited

This is slightly out of date but the process is basically the same:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000081529