cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate conversion of v2i files to vhd or vmdk files

DKB
Not applicable
Hi,

We are running BackupExec System Recovery 7.0.1.21808 on Windows 2003 Server R2.  We want to automate the process of converting the System Recovery image files (v2i & iv2i) into MS Virtual Server files (vhd).  The conversion process takes a couple of hours at least when using the GUI conversion tool.  If we have a server crash, we want to be able to have the virtual machine ready to load and run to reduce downtime.

Does anyone have a script to do this?

Thanks,
Dave
4 REPLIES 4

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
At this time Symantec Technical Support does not have example scripts (outside those offered on the product CD for other imaging tasks) for the automation of recovery point images (i.e. *.V2i) to MS Virtual Server files (i.e. *.VHD) or Vmware files (i.e. *.VMDK). Your request has been sent to our backline support staff. Pending the outcome of their investigation into this request, example scripts may be provided on our site. If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see http://www.symantec.com/business/contact_sales.jsp they will also assist in contact professional services, a unit of Symantec who may be able to assist you in your scripting needs at the present time.

Dan_Alpert
Level 2

Has this ever been implemented?  I also would like some way of automating converting v2i to vhd so I can instantly recover (and do testing with) virtual servers.  I am new to this so not sure of some of the terminology yet...

Here is my scenario:

I create full server backups to an external server share.  Then I would like automate conversion of the v2i files to vhd files onto a weekly rotating attached USB hard disk set that I can take offsite.  Then I can use these vhd files for testing or recovery when ever I need.  The thought is that if we have to recover in a disaster recovery situation, we can restore to our off site server with Virtual PC almost instantly.

Automating this would simplify things greatly. :)

Dan_Alpert
Level 2
I realize this should be in the Backup Exec System Recovery 8 forum, but just replying to this thread because it relates to my situation.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You may want to checkout 8.5's schedule for creation of virtual disk format option. It will not inject the virtual harddisk disk into a virtual guest but will allow scheduling of the backup jobs to automatically create a *.VMDK or *.VHD copy of the image.