cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BERS 2010 won't connect to Win 7 remote computer

conzepta
Level 3

hello

i have a BERS 2010 Server Edition installation on a windows server 2008 R2 x64 machine.

now i have serveral remote machines most of them with an XP OS but one have a Windows 7 OS.

all machines are in the same subnet and workgroup.

i'm able to connect all XP Machines from my server but i can't connect to the win 7 machine with BERS 2010 Server Edition.

i've tried a lot of solutions posted here but i'm still not able to connect to the win 7 machine.

i  have manually installed the BERS 2010 Agent already and i'm able to access the admin share like admin$ and c$ from the server

i also enabled DCOM => support.sas.com/rnd/itech/doc9/admin_oma/sasserver/comdcom/dcom_enable.html

i've tried <Computername\Username> + Pwd for Networkauthentication, i have disabled the norton internet security intelligence firewall.

now i don't know what i have to do as next

please help me to solve this problem.

thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

conzepta
Level 3

hi andy,

thanks for your reply.

i could solve my problem.

I have configured my Windows Firewall again and found out that under the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Settings the incomming and outgoing Rules for the port 135 tcp / udp are missed.

so now i have the following configuration at my Win 7 x64 Professional OS:

Rules for both Directions (Incomming / Outgoing:(

1) Rule for the Agent itselfs

a) Click New Rule

b) Step1: Rule Type -> Program

c) Step2: Program -> This Programpath -> Choose...

d) Step3: Action -> Allow Connections

e) Step 4: Profile-> Private, Public .... (It's up to you!)

f) Step 5: Enter a meaningful Name

g) after that go to your Rule, right click to it and select Properties

h) go to Tab Program and Services

i) choose at Programs -> This Program -> %ProgramFiles% (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\VProSvc.exe

j) choose at Services -> Settings -> Choose in the Servicelist Backup Exec System Recovery

k) click OK

2) Rule for the Port 135 TCP

a) Click New Rule

b) Step1: Rule Type -> Port

c) Step2: Protocol and Ports -> choose TCP and defined local Ports -> type 135

i) choose at Programs -> This Program -> %ProgramFiles% (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\VProSvc.exe

j) choose at Services -> Settings -> Choose in the Servicelist Backup Exec System Recovery

k) click OK

2) Rule for the Port 135 UDP

a) Click New Rule

c) Step2: Protocol and Ports -> choose UDP and defined local Ports -> type 135

k) click OK

If anybody use a intelligent Firewall from Symantec like me, you have to setup there also a general Rule for the Port 135 TCP and UDP (local epmap) to allow connection from other Computers.

This Rule needs to be before the Standard block EPMAPSMB Rule!

hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

conzepta
Level 3

ah, two more detail:

when i typed in my authenticationdetails (username and pwd) in the login dialog and click OK it opends the IE and this site: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=home

BERS 2010 SE runs under a win server 2008 administration user-profile and i try to connect to a win 7 administration user-profil.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Use Windows Firewall to open TCP port 135 on both the source and target computers, and then try the connection again.

Also, just to verify DCOM is enabled (from the readme.htm),

1. From the Windows Start menu, click Run.
  2. Enter dcomcnfg.exe, and then press Enter.
  3. In the tree on the left, double-click Component Services, and then double-click Computers.
  4. Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.
  5. Click the Default Properties tab, and then select the Enable Distributed COM on this Computer check box.
  6. Click OK to save the settings.

conzepta
Level 3

hello andy,

thanks for your reply.

i have configure the windows friewall to trust the agent service and the port 135 tcp / udp. so i have setup 4 new rules at the windows firewall with advanced security. two of incoming and two of outgoing rules.

i also enabled DCOM like you said to me.

but it doesn't work.

it does not work also when i disbable the norton internet security firewall and the windows firewall.

do you have any idea why ?

thank you

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you take a screen shot, or tell me the error you are getting when you try to connect?

conzepta
Level 3

hi andy,

thanks for your reply.

i could solve my problem.

I have configured my Windows Firewall again and found out that under the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Settings the incomming and outgoing Rules for the port 135 tcp / udp are missed.

so now i have the following configuration at my Win 7 x64 Professional OS:

Rules for both Directions (Incomming / Outgoing:(

1) Rule for the Agent itselfs

a) Click New Rule

b) Step1: Rule Type -> Program

c) Step2: Program -> This Programpath -> Choose...

k) click OK

2) Rule for the Port 135 TCP

a) Click New Rule

c) Step2: Protocol and Ports -> choose TCP and defined local Ports -> type 135

k) click OK

2) Rule for the Port 135 UDP

a) Click New Rule

c) Step2: Protocol and Ports -> choose UDP and defined local Ports -> type 135

k) click OK

If anybody use a intelligent Firewall from Symantec like me, you have to setup there also a general Rule for the Port 135 TCP and UDP (local epmap) to allow connection from other Computers.

This Rule needs to be before the Standard block EPMAPSMB Rule!

hope this helps