cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BES 8.5.1 & Granular Restore Option

ryansumm
Level 3
Hello Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can kindly help with this problem.

We have a small issue here with BES 8.5.1 & the Granular Restore addon - the granular is just trial ware at the moment before we decide to buy it for our exchange 2007 server.

When looking at an exchange 2007 backup created with BES 8.5.1 and using BESR granular restore option to look at the image we have created we can easily view
all our users mailboxes, also what is in their folders, inbox detected items etc etc, and even read the emails

However when we come to recover the users mailbox to pst for example it immediately comes up restore failed.
we get the same message for when we restore an individual message again restore failed.

I believe this is something very simple but can not find any information on any symantec support pages.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

Ryan Summ
14 REPLIES 14

criley
Employee Accredited
What version of Granular Restore Option (GRO) are you using? Check in Help-->About to find this.

ryansumm
Level 3
many thanks for replying,
the version installed is: 8.5.3.32375 . Latest version from the trialware website

criley
Employee Accredited
Do you see a log file in c:\tmp? If not, manually create c:\tmp and retry a restore using GRO. What errors do you then see in the log that should get created in c:\tmp?

ryansumm
Level 3
Hi Chris, thanks for replying
there was no c:\tmp directory so i created it.
however i still get the same error message when trying to restore.
there is one log file in the tmp directory this is called "ShimService"
and contains the following....

-----------------------------------------------------------
--- 16/06/2009 09:21:38 ShimService launched ---
Open global semaphore successfully - performing startup
RegisterChannel ...
RegisterActivatedServiceType ...
Signal global semaphore ...
Startup complete, waiting for requests

just to let you know the exchange server is 2007 64bit. and running on windows 2003 r2 64bit
i have been trying on 2 machines with windows 2003 64bit with office 2007 serivce pack 2
and even office 2003 - both do the same message

also have

many thanks for your help

criley
Employee Accredited
Hmm, that doesn't really help unfortunately. I am currently working with a customer on what sounds like a similar issue. I will update this thread when I have some news on this...

ryansumm
Level 3
Thanks Chris,
just upgraded to version 8.5.3 on bes and re-created an image to see if that made a difference, however it did not.
is it worth trying a previous version of G-Restore ?

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, it might be worth trying GRO 8.0 to see what results this gives.

ryansumm
Level 3
Hi Chris,
do you have a download link for version 8.0 as im having trouble finding it on symantec website

criley
Employee Accredited
Try here: https://www4.symantec.com/mktginfo/htmlpages/Software_Distribution.htm

ryansumm
Level 3

Hi Chris,

tyied this with version 8.5.1 but unfortually this has the same error .. please let me know when you have a solution with this

many thanks Ryan

criley
Employee Accredited
Ryan,

I actually meant for you to try GRO 8.0. You have just tried an earlier build of GRO 8.5.

If you cannot get access to 8.0 via FileConnect, I would encourage you to open a case with support.

ryansumm
Level 3
Hi Chris,

this is working with version 8.0 .... installation did complan about version 8.0 of besr not being installed, but continued.

many thanks for your help

criley
Employee Accredited
That's good to hear although we should really be looking to get this fixed in 8.5 - I assume this is what you really want? If you want to pursue this I would encourage you to open a case with Tech Support.

criley
Employee Accredited
If you are happy with this solution, please mark this thread as solved.

Thanks