cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESER and USB rotation

Yair_Glikman
Level 4

Hello,

I am trying to do simple thing, i have 3 rotating disk, one for each week.
the simple role i need, is that the software will backup to one of the disks even if the letter have changed. i am doing full backups only.
according to symantec datasheet the software will backup even if the letter have changed, is this working? does it means i need to do 3 scudelued tasks and one of them will work to one disk?
how can i get that behaver i mentioned.

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please refer to the following technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54479 : A base or incremental image is created to a USB device and then the Device is taken offline and another USB device is added for a new Recovery Point location the following error will appear during a backup attempt: EC8F17D8: Cannot complete consolidation of incremental recovery points

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are there any updates on this?? Have you got the required information from the above post. If you have got the required post then please mark the post as Solution.

Thanks,

-Sush...

(2)

Gregory_Pius
Not applicable

Hi Yair.

BESR was not really designed with media rotation in mind--which is evidenced by the fact that its in-built media identifier scheme was executed very poorly. But here's how I get around that:

This is a little gem of a program that will always assign the same drive letter to a USB drive, which you can customize though a wealth of options. It's INI-file based, and a little difficult to configure, but stick with it because (for whatever reason) this is the ONLY program I have ever found that automatically assigns the same guaranteed letter to a USB drive upon its connection:

USB Drive Letter Manager
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Now that we're confident that the drive is getting the same drive letter every time it's plugged in, the second little trick involves scheduling tasks in Windows to format and prepare the newly-rotated media. I have written a small batch script that formats the drive (with the /Q option for quick formatting), and creates a directory called besr. It's scheduled to kick off about fifteen minutes before the BESR backup job.

This way, BESR sees a new, fresh, blank drive and will create a new, full restore point to it. Subsequent backup jobs will be incremental until you rotate in the new media on your schedule, which will be automatically formatted by your scheduled formatting script.

Hope this works as well for you as it does for me.

I would like to see future versions of BESR sport much more granular options for media freshening, as well as much better support for media identification and rotation (are you listening, Symantec!?)

Cheers!

Gregory