cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 (9.0.2.37914) Best Practice(se)

QuietLeni
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

I have set up a machine with BESR 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 server and with a removable SATA drive in a caddy as my backup drive and BESR is backing up to the drive every night quite happily.

I have set the backup drive as the X: drive and BESR is set to backup to this drive. We have 3 such drives (Labelled BackupDrive1, BackupDrive2 and BackupDrive3) and the idea will be to keep one in the server for a week, then one a Monday, let's say, an administrator will come in, switch off the drive, pull it out and then push in the new one. Once a month, we will be pulling out a drive and then taking it home (for off-site backup).

All has been working with the backup solution so far, but I took the first drive out of the machine on Monday of this week and put in the new drive.

I had a two issues:

1) the new drive came up as the G: drive (not X:). At this point, I renamed the drive as X: and all was well.

2) BESR has been backing up to the new drive (BackupDrive2) OK, but permanently is in "Attention" state saying that it cannot find out the state of BackupDrive1!

So, how can I get BESR to accept that BackupDrive2 is a valid backup Destination and not to worry about BackupDrive1?

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

4 REPLIES 4

jbtsabw
Level 4

1) that is a function of the OS.  It appears you can handle that one.

2) It can't find the state of BackupDrive1 because you removed it.  It is a local drive on the server.  This alert should be expected.

If BESR is backing up to BackupDrive2, then it has accepted it as a valid backup destination.  However, it is still concerned that it can't locate BackupDrive1.  This is expected.

Open the console on the server, go under advanced.  Go to the Drives tab.  You should see a drive with a ? mark on it.  Delete it.

QuietLeni
Level 4
Partner Accredited

jbtsabw,

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say:

Open the console on the server, go under advanced.  Go to the Drives tab.  You should see a drive with a ? mark on it.  Delete it.

Which console? BESR? Windows?

Also, at some point, we will be going back to BackupDrive1 again (once we have used BackupDrive3, of cause). I do not want to lose that drive as a possible backup drive.

What can be done?

Kindest regards,

QuietLeni

kqf_chris
Level 4

BESR does not support having removable media is the main backup target. This is something that used to work fine in previous versions. Symantec has it on their 'wish list' but has not shown any ability or desire to actually fix this or make it an option in BESR.

Take a look at this thread for a workaround. I created a junction point and mounted my external drives to it so that BESR does not think the storage location has ever moved.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/de/forums/howto-usb-drive-rotation-besr-70-85

jbtsabw
Level 4

BESR