cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 Crashes server

0xJeremy
Level 3

Hello, We have a new Dell server with Small Business Server 2011. We've installed System Recovery 2010 on it and fully updated it. When we try to run a backup the server crashes 7 minutes in every time. I have un-installed and re-installed BESR. We also have shadow coppies turned on on the drives being backed up.

Thanks for the help.

10 REPLIES 10

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Why don't you use the SSR 2011 with the latest patches. Do you also have the crash dump on the server to check?

0xJeremy
Level 3

Yes, The dmp file indicates the crash was caused by ntoskrnl.exe. Looks like the next step will be to download the newest version of System Recovery.

0xJeremy
Level 3

Update: I've now installed the 2011 version and the same issue is present. 7 minutes into the backup the server crashes.

Any thoughts?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you say 7 minutes in, what % is it at when it crashes?

0xJeremy
Level 3

about 5%.

0xJeremy
Level 3

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What exactly happens when the system crashes? Is it a BSOD and the system reboots? Open SSR, click on the  advanced tab, and look at the logs and see if there are any errors there.

0xJeremy
Level 3

Yes, BSOD and reboot. SSR logs show no erros. They show when I manually started the backup, and then another "information" log says started successfully, Then BSOD. The dmp file blames it on the windows kernel.

I'm out of ideas

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If it is happening within the first 5%, it likely is happening because of an issue with the VSS snapshot. Is there any other backup software on your server, such as an Exchange or SQL backup tool? (There is a backup tool built into SBS 2011.) If so, disable them temporarily, reboot and retry. 

Microsoft also has a VSS test tool that you can try: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb530721%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

0xJeremy
Level 3

No other backups are running. Shadow coppies are scheduled though. I can try disabling VSS and re-enabling. Ill give that tool a try too. Thanks