cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 - Exchange 2007 - CCR replication issues

bjhow
Level 3

I am trying to use BESR 2010 to create backup whole images of our 2 node Exchange 2007 cluster. It appears that you need MS DTC in order to use BESR. I have tried to add MS DTC as a resource to the cluster environment and it looks like MSDTC has a dependency for Storage- Physical disk. I don't have a separate physical disk for quorum for this. I have a quorum disk for Exchange. Do I need a separate spindle just of MS DTC for this? Otherwise I can't use this product for which it was intended which really bums me out  Does anyone know about how this can be configured. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bjhow
Level 3

I found my answer. Basically you need shared storage to set up MSDTC for BESR to work in Exchange 2007 in a Cluster. The kicker is MS doesn't recommend shared storage resource in a CCR situation, and so it's a no go for using BESR in an Exchange 2007 Cluster that is CCR at least at the Windows 2003 side . Apparently in Windows 2008 server there is a way to add MSDTC without a share storage resource. I am not going to ugprade to W2K8 just to do this.  Thanks. A point of information to others trying to accomplish this same scenario.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you selected the option to use full-vss backup ?

bjhow
Level 3

I can't even install the software without MS DTC, so there are no options to select full -VSS backup.  I get an error message when installing  BESR 2010 that refers to needing MSDTC when you look up the message code and such.  MS Exchange 2007 took away the requirements for MS DTC in this release of Exchange.  Apparently you don't need it. Except that Symantec BESR uses this. In a cluster, in order to add that back in it needs a physical disk dependency. I don't have that as an available resource. I am looking for a workaround basically if it exists. Otherwise I can't use BESR 2010 to back up an Exchange cluster. Thanks

bjhow
Level 3

I found my answer. Basically you need shared storage to set up MSDTC for BESR to work in Exchange 2007 in a Cluster. The kicker is MS doesn't recommend shared storage resource in a CCR situation, and so it's a no go for using BESR in an Exchange 2007 Cluster that is CCR at least at the Windows 2003 side . Apparently in Windows 2008 server there is a way to add MSDTC without a share storage resource. I am not going to ugprade to W2K8 just to do this.  Thanks. A point of information to others trying to accomplish this same scenario.