cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 - Granular Restore Error: Outlook 2003 or newer not detected

Ken_Morley
Level 3

I am evaluating Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 for several clients using Windows Small Business Server 2008.

When I click on TOOLS -> RUN GRANULAR RESTORE OPTION and select the EXCHANGE MAIL tab, I immediately get a "Granular Restore Error" window with the following text:

Microsoft Outlook 2003 or newer not detected.  Outlook is required for Exchange Mail recovery. Install Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 or 2010.

I have always understood that Microsoft recommends against installing Outlook on ANY Exchange server because both Outlook and exchange include MAPI.DLL files.  Although both  files are called MAPI.DLL, the files are quite different and incompatible.  Installing Outlook on an Exchange server will result in reduced functionality/stability in one or both products.

Reading through the BESR 2010 User's Guide, the built-in help files and checking the on-line documentation, I can't find any instructions indicating that Outlook should be installed on the Exchange computer.

What do I need to do to equip BESR 2010 on a Windows Small Business Server 2008 system to be able to restore individual Exchange mailboxes and messages?  Where are these instructions in the Symantec BESR 2010 documentation?  Is it really acceptable to install Outlook on an Exchange server?

I want to thoroughly evaluate BESR 2010 for my Windows SBS 2008 clients, but I really don't want to trash my live SBS 2008 Server (with Exchange) doing so.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

criley
Employee Accredited
You just need to install BESR & Outlook on a seperate machine that can access the recovery point files and carry out the restore from there.

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

Ken_Morley
Level 3
Chris:

Many thanks for the answer!

Your answer brings up several additional questions that I've listed below.  I'm thinking that a thorough reading of the BESR documentation may yield a better overview of the issue.  What chapter or pages in the BESR documentation details installing Outlook and/or installing Outlook on a seperate machine?

Here's the additional questions:

Are BESR and Granular Restore seperate products or something?  I downloaded the BESR 2010 60-day trial as a single file and it contained everything that I installed.  That download is what I am basing the evaluation upon and I assumed it was a singlular product.

Does a single BESR license allow for installation on multiple machines for this purpose?  Are users expected to by multiple licenses to backup and restore a single server?

Is BESR 2010 expected to be run directly on the server being backed up or should it be run from the seperate workstation you mentioned?

Thanks again for your help!

Ken Morley

criley
Employee Accredited
Ken,

GRO is included with BESR 2010 (before 2010 they were seperate products and required a license for each).

BESR has to be run on the local server in order to back it up. However, you need to install BESR in order to use GRO.

In terms of licensing, what edition of Small Business Server 2008 do you have?

Sustainable
Level 3
Ok, we know that GRO is included in BESR 2010.

You are saying that we need to install BESR 2010 in a separate machine that can access the recovery points. So, it will need to be installed in a different machine than the Exchange Server.
You are also saying that BESR has to run on the local server in order to back it up.

The question is: Do I need to have 2 installations of BESR in order to use GRO?

Where can I find a clean and clear blueprint or instructions on how to achieve GRO without having errors and waiting for months for a forum post to appear?

criley
Employee Accredited
The question is: Do I need to have 2 installations of BESR in order to use GRO?

If you do not want to install Outlook on your Exchange server - yes. If you are running Exchange 2007, the issue with Outlook on an Exchange server goes away (as per Microsoft) so this is no longer a problem.

MB-NS
Level 2
Hello,

after reading this topic I'm not sure about the licencing needs in case we want to separate Outlook and Exchange ?

Do we need an extra BESR licence for the 2nd instance of BESR, even if it is only used to restore the Exchange mailboxes, and not backup anything at all ?

Regards,

MB

criley
Employee Accredited
MB-NS,

The 2nd instance of BESR can be installed in trial mode which gives you 60days. The timer only starts ticking when you run the first backup. So, if you are only using this copy for GRO restores, you can leave it in trial mode forever...

dataanywhere
Level 3
Any chance you can point us to the KB on this?  I haven't had any luck finding it, but I did find posts recommending against it.

Thanks,
Geoff

criley
Employee Accredited
Here you go:

http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archive/2007/02/27/installing-outlook-2007-on-an-exchange-2007-server.aspx

MB-NS
Level 2
Hello,

thank you for your answer.
I assume that it is a supported and approved configuration ?

Regards,

MB

JP-
Not applicable
I have installed outlook 2010 on my server and I still get the error that outlook is not installed.  It says to do the following:

Install Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 or 2010

The server is SBS 2008 and I am running SBESR 2010 for SBS

patrickfreer
Not applicable
Partner
I am using Outlook 2010 and have exactly the same error "Microsoft Outlook 2003 or newer not detected" - Server is running SBS2008, client PC running W7Ux64.  I have tried from both the server and client.

Can we have a fix for this please.

criley
Employee Accredited

Outlook 2010 is not supported yet:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_System_Recovery_Server_Edition/336534.pdf

Rienus_van_Hees
Not applicable
Hi all together
I just upgraded my Hard- and Software. Because I already use SEP for years, it was obvious for me to use Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 on my SBS 2008 Server for Backing up my Server and Exchange Configuration.

I could not believe my eyes after I opened the Granular Restore option from my client, to see if everything functions well:
"Install Microsoft Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010"...

Is a patch / Update planned for this issue, and for which timeframe is this planned?

Greetings
Rienus