Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 - Granular Restore of Exchange

Digerati
Level 4

Hello All,

I am evaluating / testing, BESR 2010.

I was using windows server backup which does the job to an extent but doesn't offer granular restore of exchange etc.

I restored the Windows Server Backup Image to a test server (Windows 2008, Exchange 2007 SP1) , installed BESR 2010 on the test server, completed the backup to the external usb hard drive.

I then installed the BESR 2010 trial onto my windows 7 box with outlook 2007 already installed, connected the BESR backup usb drive to the windows7 box, tried to run the Granular restore exchange option and getting the following : (ScreenShot attached) "Unable to find Exchange Information File"

Any suggestions help would be appreciated

Thanks and Regards

I have already had a look at the following posts (I am backing up the whole server, all volumes)

One thing from one of the support notes mention to upgrade GRO to 8.5 or something ? How can we just upgrade the GRO option ?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314373.htm
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293323.htm
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/besr-2010-unable-find-exchange-information-file-eif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited
Now don't you think the backup would need the Backup Information Folder again ? it is on the source / real server, do I just copy it from there to the machine i will test the GRO on ?

No need. GRO looks inside the recovery point for this file.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Digerati
Level 4
Reading through the BESR 2010 Guide, on page 211, I found this :

Does this mean that the Granular restore option to be run from a 64BIT Machine only and not a 32BIT ?

Note: Microsoft Exchange 2007 requires a Windows 64 bit operating system.
Microsoft Exchange 2010 requires Windows Vista SP2 64 bit or Windows
Server 2008 64 bit.

Thanks

Digerati
Level 4
Just tested the above Symantec statement and I am getting the same error as my first post on this topic ;

I have now tried both on 32BIT and 64BIT Machines with Outlook 2007 32Bit installed.

Hope someone can help - thanks

Would Exchange database shutdown state matter in this case ?

criley
Employee Accredited
Would Exchange database shutdown state matter in this case ?

So are the Exchange services stopped when the backup takes place? This could be the problem. Make sure the Exchange services are running before the backup starts. Once the backup is complete, look for the 'Backup Information' folder which is a hidden folder that is created on the volume where Exchange is installed.

Hope that helps.

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question ***

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply, I checked the services and apart from Exchange Information Store Service most services are in a running state, this is a test box (which I created by restoring a windows server backup) on to this machine. The exchange databases were not in a clean shutdown state.

But if for e.g. for a fully operational server (healthy server) this shouldn't be the problem ? isnt it ?

I will be able to test BESR 2010 tonight on a operational Exchange Box, also do you think I should use granular restore option on a 32Bit or 64Bit Machine ? I would have Outlook 2007 installed.

Also, have you came across this error before ?

I will update this either tonite or tomorrow morning.

Please keep any eye :)

Kind Regards

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply, Where can I find the backup information folder ? I went through the volume where exchange is installed "C:\" but can't seem to find it, have checked the option to show hidden files and folders.

Regards

criley
Employee Accredited
If that folder is not being created, that's the cause of the error you are seeing. As I said, it could be due to the Exchange services being stopped.

You need to use the Granular Restore Option on the same platform. In other words, if the Exchange server is 64bit, the machine running GRO must also be 64bit.

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your prompt reply, So to sum up :

I will need a 64Bit Windows 7 or Vista SP2 with outlook installed, BESR 2010 installed and the backup drive to be able to restore Mailboxes, provided that Exchange services are running and operational and the Backup Information folder is being created ?

What is the location of this folder ? is this c:\backup information ? assuming C drive is the drive where Exchange is installed irrespective where the databases and logs are (We have DB and Logs on separate HD but local to the same server).

I will post the update tomorrow as I will do the test on another exchange box this evening.

Please keep checking :)

Kind Regards

Digerati
Level 4
Further info :

I have Windows 2008 Server SP1 and Exchange Server SP1, i think that should be fine for BESR 2010.

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, the 'Backup Information' folder should be getting created at the root of the volume where Exchange is installed.

GeoffKrie
Level 3
This folder contains the EIF file. Should the modified date on the file be the same as the last backup?
Thanks

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

I will be updating this thread on Wednesday or Thursday (latest) as I will install BESR 2010 on our Production Exchange which is Windows 2008 SP1, Exchange 2007 SP1.

I will backup and will then install outlook on a 64Bit Windows vista or Windows 2008 or windows 7 machine to see if that helps for the restore (to avoid the eif error).

Any other thoughts you may have , can you also post the link for BESR 2010 Administration Guide ?

Kind regards

criley
Employee Accredited
Here's the link for the 2010 user guide: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_System_Recovery_Server_Edition/336194.pdf

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

The server I am going to use the trial on :

6 Phyiscal disks ( 2 Disks each in a RAID-1 configuration) so 3 Volumes Presented in Windows
OS = Windows Server 2008 SP1
Exchange 2007 SP1

When I take the image of the server, would I be able to restore the whole server to another server with 1 Physical Disk (NO RAID) of more or equal capacity to accomodate all volumes ?

I will post the final results by Thursday regarding backup / restore with BESR ;

Also, do you recommend to uninstall the current backup application we are using which is yosemite ?

Kind regards

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

Thanks for all your support so far ; I am running the backup on the production box at the moment, I have checked that the Backup Information Folder is created on the root of the drive where Exchange is installed, i.e. the server's c:\ drive.

Now, Once the backup is finished, I have a test machine ready to test the GRO option, Its a 64BIT Machine with Windows 2008 SP2, Outlook 2007 Installed and all the latest updates. Now don't you think the backup would need the Backup Information Folder again ? it is on the source / real server, do I just copy it from there to the machine i will test the GRO on ?

Will Look forward to your reply
Kind Regards

criley
Employee Accredited
Now don't you think the backup would need the Backup Information Folder again ? it is on the source / real server, do I just copy it from there to the machine i will test the GRO on ?

No need. GRO looks inside the recovery point for this file.

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

Backup is finishing in an hour and a half from now, i will post back my results on here.

So all in all, as Windows / Exchange is 64BIT, I would need a 64BIT OS (Windows 7 / vista) with outlook installed and thats it.

Thanks so much for your prompt replies.

Will be posting this today within 2 hours from now.

Kind regards

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

Backup ran successfull and the image for all 3 partitions from the production box was taken (vss full), I also selected Independant Recovery Points for all volumes (3 in all C:, D:. E:).

I then disconnected the USB Disk off the Production Box and connected it to a test x64 windows 2008 sp2 with outlook installed, I then used the GRO option and it did showed me all Mailboxes from the Mailbox Database - Great !!

Now, when I try to select Public folder database (Second storage group \ public folder database.edb) it won't show any content ??

It has backed up, I can see the PF database in recovery point browser - Any Ideas ?

Also, it seems to be a bit slow in going through the mailboxes as compared to Ontrack Power controls for Exchange - But I am not complaining just seeking suggestions as to what I can do to speed things up. BESR is a great product for restores anywhere and now the amazing GRO Option.

I will look forward to your thoughts - at the moment doing a One time virtual conversion (on the test box for the production machine's c partition) ; any suggestions for virtual conversion ?

Kind Regards

criley
Employee Accredited
Now, when I try to select Public folder database (Second storage group \ public folder database.edb) it won't show any content ??

You can only recover Exchange mail with GRO. It currently does not have the capability to recover public folder items. Or I am missing something here..?

Digerati
Level 4
BESR 2010 SRD Driver Missing.pngHi Chris,

I have been trying to create a SRD but this driver is missing and its saying to add a 32Bit driver ; now when in reality I would be restoring baremetal to the server or to anyother server how can I inject the driver, I can see the "ADD" option, does that mean just to download the driver and extract and it will get the "inf" files ?

Also, I tried a one time virtual conversion of the backup "Server's C Drive only" conversion went fine but upon booting the VHD into Hyper-V I had error saying windows cannot install some drivers, to reinstall windows click ok to restart" and thats it ?

Any thoughts on this ? Virtual conversion is basically a very attractive feature which we want to get it right.

Also, I am trying a test restore (baremetal restore anywhere) on a test box - Will report back on it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, if you have any thoughts or suggestions on the abvoe - I would be grateful or any strategy to keep safe.

Regarding Public Folders, I can't seem to read them via BESR - please let me know whether this is the way it is or have I got to do something ?

Thanks so much - Please keep checking for results - as In the end I will create a how-to of my experience for this forum.
Kind regards