cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 Hanging on Updating History - Stuck at 95%

dale_m1
Level 4
Hello,

I have three servers, all of them running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition/32 that are exhibiting the same problem…

Each server is running BESR 2010 unmanaged (V 9.0.1.36527) – jobs and scheduling are configured locally on each server.  Typically, after running several successful daily incrementals these servers will hang at the end of the job with …

Progress and Performance at 95%
            Creating Recovery Point
            5 seconds remaining
            Updating History

They will remain hung at this point indefinitely.

I know this issue has been discussed in at least one other post in which a solution was given that involved deleting the .PQJ files (schedule) and .PQH files (history), then deleting and re-creating the backup job.  I’ve done this once on two of these servers and three times on the other.  Yet, the problem persists.

This is becoming a real pain in the ass.  Does anyone from Symantec or elsewhere have another solution to this problem?

Thank You,
13 REPLIES 13

fabio_sanches
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi dalle.

If your backup destination is an external disk (like a i.e.: external IOmega Drive),  verify if your issue could be solved with information at KB 305459, about the destination drive (i.e.: external IOmega Drive) is formatted to FAT32. Re-formatting the drive to NTFS will allow the backup job to complete successfully. (http://support.veritas.com/docs/305459 )

Do you have any error message at Event Log (Application or System)?

On the Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution ManageTasks tab, expand the Configuration Policies list in the left pane and enable "Event Log" and "Log File" to have more information about the problem.

Regards,

dale_m1
Level 4
Luke.s – Thank you for your reply,

Regarding the FAT32 issue – The three servers in question all back up to a USB drive connected to another server on the LAN.  The USB is formatted NTFS.  I have four other servers that are all backing up to the same backup drive, so far, without issues. 

I’m not using the BESR 2010 Management Solution – all installations are standalone, locally configured.

Regarding error logs – What I’m noticing in the Application Event Log is that when an incremental backup completes successfully, there will be a number of ‘Symantec SymSnap’ entries for the backup job and then there will be a closing ‘Backup Exec System Recovery’ entry(s) in the log of the following sort;

Event Type:   Information
Event Source:           Backup Exec System Recovery
Event Category:        High Priority
Event ID:        100
Date:               5/3/2010
Time:              9:05:31 PM
User:               N/A
Computer:     LYNX
Description:
Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive C:\ was created successfully.

Details:
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

There will be one of the above entries for each drive (C:, D:, E:) backed up on that server.  When a server fails with the history log update hang-up, the Application Event Log shows all the same ‘Symantec SymSnap’ entries, however the final closing ‘Backup Exec System Recovery’ entry(s) as shown above, are not present in the log.

Going a bit further, I checked the Backup Exec System Recovery.log.txt file on a server that ran a successful incremental on 5/3 and failed with the updating history issue on 5/4.  Below are the contents of that log for the dates 5/3 through 5/6.  You can see that once the history update failure happened on 5/4, the 5/5 and 5/6 backups failed because they sensed an earlier job was still in progress.

5/3/2010 21:00:21 PM High Priority Warning:  0x800706BA (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/3/2010 21:00:21 PM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F65: The drive-based backup job, Drive Backup of OS (C:\), DATAPART1 (D:\), DATAPART2 (E:\), has been started automatically. 0x00 (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/3/2010 21:05:31 PM High Priority Warning:  0x800706BA (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/3/2010 21:05:31 PM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive E:\ was created successfully. 0x00 (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/3/2010 21:05:31 PM High Priority Warning:  0x800706BA (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/3/2010 21:05:31 PM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive C:\ was created successfully.
 0x00 (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/3/2010 21:05:32 PM High Priority Warning:  0x800706BA (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/3/2010 21:05:32 PM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive D:\ was created successfully.
 0x00 (Backup Exec System Recovery)

5/4/2010 21:00:21 PM High Priority Warning:  0x800706BA (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/4/2010 21:00:21 PM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F65: The drive-based backup job, Drive
Backup of OS (C:\), DATAPART1 (D:\), DATAPART2 (E:\), has been started automatically. 0x00 (Backup Exec System Recovery)

5/5/2010 21:00:10 PM High Priority Warning:  0x800706BA (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/5/2010 21:00:10 PM Medium Priority Info: Error EBAB03F1: Operation aborted.
Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress. 0x80004004 (Backup Exec System Recovery)

5/6/2010 21:00:10 PM High Priority Warning:  0x800706BA (Backup Exec System Recovery)
5/6/2010 21:00:10 PM Medium Priority Info: Error EBAB03F1: Operation aborted.
Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress. 0x80004004 (Backup Exec System Recovery)

Anyhow, if anyone has further suggestions, thoughts I would be glad to hear them.
Thank You,

dale_m1
Level 4
I have changed the backup destination for one of the three failing servers to a locally attached USB drive (NTFS).  Previously it had been backing up to a USB drive (NTFS) attached to another server.  While I don't really have any grounds to believe this will solve the problem it is at least worth a try.  Once the problem either recurrs or enough time has passed to believe the problem is solved I will report my findings.

Nathan78
Level 3

I am also having this trouble with my backups. I backup 4 servers each to there own USB attached hard drive which are all formatted NTFS.  Since January my backups have been running fine. Now I am having trouble with my 2 smaller servers. BESR gets to 95% and the just hangs. It is only backing up between 50Gb-100Gb of data, and now 2 days after I started the backup, which usually only takes an hour, it is still stuck on 95%.

When I search the drives, the images are there for all the backups, and when I look in the management console I see that it is registering the backups as successfuly. Yet if i restart the BESR service or if I disconnect the drive, I lose the backup. BESR seems to wipe the images off and reports a failure. To make matter more annoying, there are no events in the event logs!

Has anyoone been able to find out any more information about this error. Please.

peterlicht
Level 2

I could only solve this issue by deleting all old backup-points on my usb-drive. Some of them weren`t on my usb drive any more, so the history in BESR was not correct. I think an inconsistency was the error.

Use the tools --> edit backup-location and cleanup all non existing backup points.

Since started with no points in the history all works fine.

Maybe it will help someone.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From all the above post I understand that the issue that you are facing is the known issue with BESR 2010 and has been reported by Symantec. Please check the following link for the same:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issue/besr-backup-job-hangs-95-long-run-while-taking-backup-...

Also SP2 for BESR 2010 is already available. So you may consider to update to SP2 before applying any workaround. Please run Live Updates to install SP2

There are few technotes which details about the best possible workaround for this issue. Please refer to the following technotes.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141655 : A backup job hangs at 95% and "Progress and Performance" remains "Updating history". 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139416 : Backups hang at 95% in 'Updating History' state when clients are using a shared backup destination folder. 

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are there any updates on this?? Have you got the required information ??

Thanks,

-Sush...

Joel1
Level 2
Partner

I have just updated BESR 2010 to SP2 in the veign hope that this would fix the issue but it has not.

Can someone from Symantec please give us an answer that helps?

(And I don't mean a work around that involves disabling a part of it's functionallity, like unregistering RPAM.DLL)

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

Hi Joel, in the same boat as you for some of my PCs. Been trying to reduce the number of clients associated with a policy and creating separate folders for these smaller groups, but it still fails/hangs on some of them. I don't want to go the route of disabling the rpam.dll either, but looks like might not have a choice. Hopefully this issue (a big one IMO) is resolved in SSR.

kqf_chris
Level 4

Hello,

The release notes for SSR 2011 (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157316) mention a fix for this '95%' issue. I would download the trial version and see if it resolves things.

Chris

criley
Employee Accredited

Can someone from Symantec please give us an answer that helps?

(And I don't mean a work around that involves disabling a part of it's functionallity, like unregistering RPAM.DLL)

I'm afraid that this is currently the only workaround that is available. The issue is being worked on by our engineering team so hopefully we will have a fix in the near future.

The release notes for SSR 2011 (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157316) mention a fix for this '95%' issue. I would download the trial version and see if it resolves things.

Unfortunately those notes are wrong. The 95% issue is NOT fixed (yet) in SSR - I have already checked on this as I was surprised to see it there myself. The notes should be corrected soon.

Sorry I don't have any better news (yet) for you guys. I know this issue is a big pain point with BESR/SSR.

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

It is probably the biggest pain point for me right now. Sad to hear it's still an issue.

criley
Employee Accredited

Jon,

I hear you. I'm doing my best to keep pushing this from my side.