cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 - Looking for OLD Backup Drive (manage Backup destination)

Digerati
Level 4
Hi All,

How Do i remove drives from BESR 2010 so it doesn't looks for them, basically I first backed up (as a test) on to a 500GB External USB Disk, once that was completed, I then used our RDX1000 (320GB Cartridges), ofcourse the space was all consumed, so I thought to limit 1 recovery point for each backup and delete the old one setting, but when it got to the next day and the job ran, it was looking fBESR Manage BKUP Dest.pngor the old drive and thus failed. I hope I have explained it clear. Basically I want it to delete the last night's backup before backing up the latest onto the rdx so it has space or the job will fail as the backup job is around 250GB and the disk is 320GB.

We will be using RDX1000 with two cartridges, but the drive letter remains the same (F:\)
If I format the drive now and run backup it will run fine without errors, I have attached the screenshots for the backup job and recoverypoint settings.

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (C:\), Database (D:\), Logs (E:\).
Error EC8F03ED: Cannot create the recovery point.
Error E7D1000B: Unable to make directory 'F:/'.
Error E7D10026: Unable to get attributes for 'F:/'.
Error EBAB03F1: The device is not ready.
Error E7D1000B: Unable to make directory '%1'.
Details:
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

Info 6C8F043D: Recovery point [EXTUSBDRIVE]\BKUP\SERVERNAME_C_Drive001.v2i deleted to comply with the number of recovery points to save for each drive.

Following is the error which is looking for the first usb drive I used :
Error EC8F1F62: Cannot find external device 'EXTUSBDRIVE'.
BESR2010-RecoveryPoints.png
7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited
Basically I want it to delete the last night's backup before backing up the latest onto the rdx so it has space or the job will fail as the backup job is around 250GB and the disk is 320GB.

This wont work. BESR has to successfully create the new backup before it will remove the previous backup (it works this way because you would be in trouble if the new backup failed for some reason..). So you need enough space to hold at least 2 backups.

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your response ; I got it ;

Why is it looking for this drive - and How can I delete this drive as I don't want to use this drive anymore.

Following is the error which is looking for the first usb drive I used :
Error EC8F1F62: Cannot find external device 'EXTUSBDRIVE'.

Also, in my screenshot above you will see I have the setting enabled "Limit the number of recovery points saved for this backup" = "1"

Does this mean that it will create the new *.v2i file and then delete the old *.v2i file ? (That is the backup file - isn't it)

What is the *.sv2i file ? is that not a recovery point ?

Also, what will happen, when I would insert a new RDX1000 Cartridge, will that give error or will it backup, I mean as I have the setting to delete the old recovery point and create a new one, would that fail or would that just create a new backup on it ?

Can you recommend some kind of optimal settings, scenario is :

1 Server, 1 RDX 1000 Drive with TWO Cartridges, we take the back once a day (in the evening) and then after 5 days, we replace the cartridge with the 2nd one.

I will be grateful if you could shed some light on the above issues / concerns - that would be highly appreciable.
Kind regards

Digerati
Level 4
BESR Recovery Points.pngHi Chris,
I have attached the screenshot, Just completed this backup on the rdx, I deleted all previous backup and then initiated the new backup.

Now, as per the screenshot, the files which are .v2i - are these called "Recovery Points" ;

or

is it the sv2i files which are called recovery points ?

Also, when we create a new JOB, it asks to create "Recovery Point Type", should we create the recovery point set or independant recovery point ?

I selected Independant recovery point, is it because of this that its creating 3 x *.v2i files ? or with the recovery point set it will create just one *.V2i file which would have the image of all 3 partitons ?

I can't seem to get the answer via the user guide and will be grateful if you could clarify here.

Thanks

Digerati
Level 4
Can you check my first post which have two screenshots and recommend something with regards to "Limit the number of recovery points" ; I have the setting as 1 ? is that OK when I am using INdependant recovery points ?

Digerati
Level 4

What is the recommended job settings ? Can anyone suggest ?

I am confused as to what is the recovery poinit the v2i or sv2i files ?

I have attached screenshots and will be grateful if someone could read through and help.

I will check back my thread tonight.

Kind regards

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry for the late reply...

.v2i = this is a base (full) backup image file
.sv2i = this is the system index file (it keeps track of all recovery points in the set)
.iv2i = this is an incremental image file

Recovery point set = base + incrementals.

An independent recovery point is just that, it's a one-time full backup of a volume.

I hope that answers all your questions.

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your questions ***

kook04
Level 2
Regarding removing old backup destinations:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/320697.htm

This removes all backup jobs and destinations.  I only run two different jobs, so recreating them was not a problem.  Rather start from scratch than be constantly warned that a backup destination that no longer exists is unavailable, right?