cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 MS is not receiving communication from Clients

Smiffy85
Level 3

Hi,

I have several remote Server each with BESR 8/8.5 or 2010 installed being managed by a central console - BESR 2010 MS.  

The clients are backing fine as per their schedules but they are not accurately (or indeed at all) to the console.

I have restarted the Altiris Agent and BE Services on each client, this works for some but it is temporary.

Has anyone come across this, if so what is the answer?

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

The clients are backing fine as per their schedules but they are not accurately (or indeed at all) to the console.

What EXACTLY do you mean by this?

Are you saying they are showing the wrong status in the BESR-MS console?

Smiffy85
Level 3

I mean that the data in the console is wrong.

Console - 

Last run time = 3 days ago

Status - Not Reporting

Next run time = 2 days ago

Client - 

Last run time = 16 hours ago

Status = Backed Up

Next run time = 22:00 10/09/2013

Please see attached example..

criley
Employee Accredited

'Not Reporting' means that the client has some communication/network issue which means it cannot send it's latest status to the BESR-MS server.

Is the management agent (aka Altiris Agent) updating itself to the BESR-MS server?

Smiffy85
Level 3

Altiris Agent updates each day in line with its schedule.

There are no network problems at any of the sites or across the WAN.

Why would it show status "Backed Up" when there has been no backup for 12 days?

criley
Employee Accredited

In that case it sounds like the Backup Exec System Recovery service has either crashed or gone into a hang state at some stage. Restarting that service will probably fix it albeit temporarily.

This is my guess and I have seen this type of issue many times before. I would suggest you look in the event logs on the client machine for errors around the same date/time that the machine stopped reporting it's status correctly.

Why would it show status "Backed Up" when there has been no backup for 12 days?

It shows this status on the management console? That tells me that this was the correct status when the client last updated itself to the BESR-MS server.