cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 RAID0 Unallocated Space

Sam_Gates
Level 2

Hi.

I am attempting to iron out the DR for our network and have run in to an issue with BESR. I have an exchange 2010 server sitting on server 2008R2. There server itself is an HP DL380 G5. There are currently 2 RAID0 mirrord volumes, one as a system volume, one for data. I am carrying out a full system test restore to a spare DL380 server with the same hardware.

The process I'm going through, is recreating both RAID volumes with fresh disks of the same capacity, and running the full restore from the index file. The hidden system partition and drive C: are being restored to volume 0 and the data to volume 1. The restore works, and despite a request for which OS I want to boot from at startup, the restored server appears to also work.

However, a problem I have run in to, is that the drive manager in Windows is seeing the second disk in each mirrored RAID as being a separate unallocated partition. The utilities for the RAID, are reporting that all is well.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The request for the duplicate OS was resolved in 9.0.2.

It is recommended that you use the .Sv2i file when restoring to the same server only. BESR may have assumed you were going to the same hardware and did not adjust for the different controller card where the new RAIDs are on. Even the slightest different (slot on motherboard, firmware on controller card, etc. can make a difference.

Try restoring the hidden+C:\ partions only, then boot the system up into Windows without the data partition. See if the second RAID problem persists. If not, configure the RAID0 volume the way you want to, then restore the data into that partition, either from within Windows or from the SRD.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The request for the duplicate OS was resolved in 9.0.2.

It is recommended that you use the .Sv2i file when restoring to the same server only. BESR may have assumed you were going to the same hardware and did not adjust for the different controller card where the new RAIDs are on. Even the slightest different (slot on motherboard, firmware on controller card, etc. can make a difference.

Try restoring the hidden+C:\ partions only, then boot the system up into Windows without the data partition. See if the second RAID problem persists. If not, configure the RAID0 volume the way you want to, then restore the data into that partition, either from within Windows or from the SRD.

Sam_Gates
Level 2

Thanks for your reply Andy, I'll give that a go.

Sam

Sam_Gates
Level 2

Attempted just about every variation on restoring to the redundant server I could think of, including removal of drivers etc. Apart from losing the boot partition and on one occasion needing to run 'startrep' from the Windows install repair environment, none of this appears to have made any difference

Suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

sam

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did you grab the 9.0.2 recovery disk, and have you tried to restore only the operating system volume?