cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 - Recovery Set - Errors

Digerati
Level 4
Errors :
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Backup-RecoverySet.
Error EC8F040B: Cannot create incremental recovery point of D:\ drive.
Error E0BB0083: Unable to create incremental recovery point.
Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. CHECK failed, BitmapInternal::RunListBase<unsigned long>::RunListBase: d:\ComponentReleases\Base_Main\ws\Base/Dev/Bitmap/RunListBase.inl(158): mRunListCount < maxRuns.
Details:
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

============

Error EBAB03F1: Operation aborted.
Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.
Details:
==============

Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.
Details:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Above are the errors appearing in the BESR 2010 Event Log ; I created a single job with "Recovery Point Set" and selected the whole server, backing up to a RDX1000 Drive (320GB).
I have set the value for "Limit the number of recovery points for this backup to - 1"

I was under the impression that with this setting, it will backup the first time, then incremental and delete unwanted / old recovery points to re-claim space.

I have tried the independant recovery point setting Backup JOB too, number of recovery points are limited on it too, so that the old one gets deleted to create space. the whole backup cost is coming around 152Gb.

Can someone from Symantec  or a symantec besr guru can help me get this thing fixed ; we are in trial at the moment and things are not looking good already ;

I was having some issues with Independant recovery point (daily JOb) on this thread (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/besr-2010-looking-old-backup-drive-manage-backup-destination) which is why i thought of using the recovery point set setting. Your help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
8 REPLIES 8

Digerati
Level 4

-Error EC8F040B: Cannot create incremental recovery point of D:\ drive.
--Unable to create incremental recovery point.
---Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. CHECK failed, BitmapInternal::RunListBase<unsigned long>::RunListBase: d:\ComponentReleases\Base_Main\ws\Base/Dev/Bitmap/RunListBase.inl(158): mRunListCount < maxRuns.

Just tried to run the job again (right click > Run Backup Now) and it failed with the above errors :

The 320GB Cartridge I have in RDX have the following space available / used figures :
Used Space : 154GB
Available : 143 GB

Will be grateful for your assistance on this
Kind Regards

criley
Employee Accredited

Error EC8F040B: Cannot create incremental recovery point of D:\ drive.
Error EBAB0013: A test that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. CHECK failed, BitmapInternal::RunListBase<unsigned long>::RunListBase: d:\ComponentReleases\Base_Main\ws\Base/Dev/Bitmap/RunListBase.inl(158): mRunListCount < maxRuns.

I would like to focus on this problem. Some questions:

1. Is it only incrementals that show this issue?
2. How often do incrementals fail with this error?
3. Is it only backups of D that show this error?
4. Is there any pattern to this failure? For example, does it always occur around the same time?
5. Do you have any other backup-related products installed on this machine?
6. How many machines are affected by this error?

Lastly, do you have a support contract with Symantec?

Digerati
Level 4

No there is no other backup application installed on this server
Well, I have been using this in production for the last week, so the job schedule started since 18March 2010 and went fine until 20th march, since then its failing every night, the job is scheduled to run once a day (9pm night) and thats it.

Looks like (according to the BESR Logs) that it attempts to backup the D:\ drive first (which is the exchange database) and it fails.

Its a single job to backup the whole server and we are evaluating BESR 2010 on just ONE Server at the moment.

No we don' t have a support contract at the moment as we haven't decided to purchase the product yet due to the problems we are facing.

Will be grateful for the help ;

criley
Employee Accredited

Could you please answer my questions that I originally asked?

Also, have you considered testing with a different backup destination (i.e. not using RDX)? This would help us to determine if this problem is specific to the RDX drive or not.

When it fails, do you always see this error?

nfo 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.

Digerati
Level 4

yes I have answered your questions but here you go again :

I would like to focus on this problem. Some questions:

1. Is it only incrementals that show this issue?        YES

2. How often do incrementals fail with this error?     For the Last 3 days continuously (previous to that - the backup went fine)

3. Is it only backups of D that show this error?          Apparently, BESR first tries to BACKUP D drive and it fails there and then

4. Is there any pattern to this failure? For example, does it always occur around the same time?  (Yes the job is scheduled to run at 9pm daily)

5. Do you have any other backup-related products installed on this machine? NO

6. How many machines are affected by this error?  Just - 1

Lastly, do you have a support contract with Symantec? NO We dont have - this is a trial product we are evaluating and haven't decided to purchase it.

If you can recommend, help something which will enable me to :

I will try with another drive tomorrow - an external usb drive of 500GB, also I don't see it a problem of RDX Drive as I did some test backups and restores with the same drive with BESR and it worked fine.

Backup this server daily ONCE
either incremental or independant
it is a 320GB Drive and the Backup cost is around 150GB, so I have limited to 1 recovery point and it should delete the previous automatically after it has backed up.

------
Also, I have now deleted the recovery sets (basically formatted the rdx drive) and have created a independant recovery point, now when i go into delete recovery points from BESR 2010, it throws the following error
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339855.htm

Digerati
Level 4

Info 6C8F1F7F: A scheduled independent recovery point of drive D:\ was created successfully.
Details:Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

So, I deleted the recovery set (basically formatted the 320GB RDX), deleted the OLD JOB and created a new job (just ONE Job) with independant recovery point.

The errors are from last nights Event Logs when the backup started at 9pm, it first reported the Two Errors and then the INFO message of successfully being able to create a independent recovery point.

Is there a way I can delete the event logs, any setting which will make the software not to look for recovery sets or reset it so it starts a fresh begining ?

Our plan of backup is to use 2 cartrdiges of 320GB each in rotation weekly, so one catridge will be backing up for the whole week and then the next cartridge is inserted, what would you recommend in terms of job setting (independant or recovery set) so that it doesn't fails and does automatically backed up ?

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

So have you tried backing up to the USB drive to see if this works?

Another option is to split the job so that it backs up each volume on it's own. This may point the finger at a particular volume causing this issue.

Digerati
Level 4

Yes, I tried backing up again, there is no problem with any of the partitions nor the disk drive (RDX 1000).

I think it was the space which was making it fail ; I deleted all the previous jobs and created a new job with independant recovery set, gave it Medium compression to reduce the size and test on the same drive with same selections.

it successfully deleted the previous backup and kept the latest recovery point.

any thoughts on the errors and how to make BESR not to look for old deleted jobs and recovery points

things are looking ok so far and the weekend will be a test too ;

if you have anyother tips for backing up (its a single server  Exchange box i ambacking up) i am also thinking to back it up to a NAS (recovery set) and one single job daily to the rdx of independent ?

we have gigiabit connection between the switch and the server -

Q - do you think this will be a lot of stress on the server to process backup over NAS ?

Q - If for a test, I deploy a agent from the existing BESR 2010 Install to another server and image that to the nas or to a ext-usb, would that be too heavy for this Exchang Server (Quad core xeon x 2 and 4GB RAM).

Thanks