cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 Server Edition vs. small business edition and Management Solution

Deatheye
Level 5
Hi we are looking into the 2010 Edition

The Information on the Product page looks a bit confusing, some seem to be wrong since the information about the small businees edition says that there is a Granular Restore Option included without aditional cost. Its written as if the normal server edition wouldn't have this function but if you check the normale edition it tells you that now 2010 the server edition got this feature too.
Now I'm wondering what are the actuall differences? on how many servers can I install the small business edition? some version of the small business edition from MS allow the installation on multible servers, can I install BESR small business edition on all of them too? And how do I get the central management functionality? I only saw it listed as an option, but netiher did I see the product as an seperate information page or an option to buy it from our reseller. What does it aprox. cost, does it work with server edition and small business edition? Where can I get more information about it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited
The Granular Restore Option (GRO) is included at no extra cost for both BESR & BESR SBS.

The Management Solution (BESR-MS) is now free and can be downloaded here: https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=88724. This will work with the SBS version as well as the standard server/desktop editions of BESR.

You can just download BESR-SE (server edition). As you say, it's the license key the determines whether or not you are using the SBS edition.

In terms of how many servers you can install the SBS edition, I'm not sure about that. I would suggest you contact customer care who should be able to answer that:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_information.jsp

***Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s)***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Deatheye
Level 5
Additional Question:
If I want to download the small business edition I just can select Backup Exec System recovery 2010, no server edition, no small business edition..?
Is it possible to get other versions or are they the same anyway and differences depend on the key you enter?

criley
Employee Accredited
The Granular Restore Option (GRO) is included at no extra cost for both BESR & BESR SBS.

The Management Solution (BESR-MS) is now free and can be downloaded here: https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=88724. This will work with the SBS version as well as the standard server/desktop editions of BESR.

You can just download BESR-SE (server edition). As you say, it's the license key the determines whether or not you are using the SBS edition.

In terms of how many servers you can install the SBS edition, I'm not sure about that. I would suggest you contact customer care who should be able to answer that:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_information.jsp

***Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s)***

Deatheye
Level 5
Ok thanks, Called them, they gave me another number for symantec partners ^^
They told me that the functionality is identical and that the only difference is that the Small business edition can be installed on more then one server (if you got the SBS Edition from MS that allows multiple Server installations).
Thanks for the hint. Need to write that number down for the future :D

criley
Employee Accredited
Glad to hear that you got an answer on that license query.

NOTE: For future reference....if someone takes the time to answer your question or at least point you in the right direction it is good forum etiquette to award them points by marking their post as the solution. Thanks.

Deatheye
Level 5
Additional Information:
This week we tried to install the product. Didn't work on both servers. Then we noticed, that only one of the Windows Servers identifies itself as an SBS, the other one counts as an normal windows 2008 server. even thought they are from one SBS package. Which means we couldn't install the SBS BESR version onto both since one of them identifies itself as normal windows server :\