cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 Uninstall // Altiris Console

slicardie
Level 4

Hi,

We recently had to change our domain to a new one.  Altiris console stopped working and we decided to uninstall it.  We could uninstall BESR 2010 but the Altiris console is not appearing on add/remove programs and we don't find a way to manually uninstall all its components.  How do we do it??

14 REPLIES 14

slicardie
Level 4

BTW, Altiris console 7.0 stopped working because the admin user associated with it wasn't migrated (on purpose) to the new domain...

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Click here to access the admin guide for the product in PDF format:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3912

Go to the very last page of this manual (page 238) and look at the topic 'uninstall' and will point you to the various uninstallation instructions.

Give that a try.

slicardie
Level 4

Well, we did uninstall BESR 2010 but the Altiris Console 7.0 is still present.  I guess we'll have to reinstall Win2K3 as we can't find any other solution.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you go to your Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features), do you see the products listed there? You may have to click on 'Symantec Platforms and Solutions'. This will launch SIM (Symantec Installation Manager), from where you uninstall the platform.

Does this help?

slicardie
Level 4

I tried that too but the Altiris Console is not listed either in add/remove programs nor in the SIM.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think I figured out your question. I completely uninstalled the product from my computer, just as you did, and can see that there is still an 'Altiris' group when I click Start>Programs. I am currently investigating this to find out why that was not uninstalled, even though the program was succesfully uninstalled.

It looks like this is simply a link to the platform console, even thought the platform has been uninstalled. Go ahead and manually delete that dead link from your start menu. Once done, all traces should now be gone from the computer.

slicardie
Level 4

Nope, it's not only a dead link but an active program.  Altiris' services are still working and causing trouble...

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In Add/Remove Programs, do you see ''Symantec Platforms and Solutions'? If so, try that. If you don't see that, you can open SIM through the start menu and manually delete from there.

slicardie
Level 4

Nope, it doesn't appear in either of them.  We had to reinstall Windows 2003...

Either way it would be nice to know how to remove altiris console manually :)

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I chatted with one of the SMP technicians and he mentioned that when an install goes wrong and they need to yank it out, they use a free utility called MyUninstaller (www . nirsoft . net/utils/myuninst.html). Although this is a 3rd party utility which we don't support, the tech reported a very high success rate with this.

slicardie
Level 4

Great!  Thanks for this useful info.

It would be nice if Symantec could create this kind of uninstaller specifically for BESR 2010.  My Uninstaller seems to be a good tool, but it may not take into account specific registry entries/configurations that BESR performs on the server where it's installed.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The BESR 2010 uninstaller is located here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76289

The SSR 2011 uninstaller is located here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157372

slicardie
Level 4

I hope I don't have to use it in the near future... and if I have to, I hope it completely uninstalls Altiris 7.0 :)

Thanks Andy.

criley
Employee Accredited

Those batch files are ONLY for the standalone BESR/SSR clients. They will NOT remove the management solution - that MUST be done using Symantec Installation Manager (SIM).