cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010: Why two backups at once?

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I've got some deployments of BESR 2010.  Each one has a single backup job.  The job is set to the "full computer backup" option (or whatever it's called), with the checkmark placed in the fiield titled  "Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup to" and in the box I have just 1 set.  Since my schedule is set for 10:00 PM each night, Monday to Friday, I would expect one base recovery point, plus maybe 4 incremental points. 

Again, the backup is set to run at 10:00 PM.

Further along in the backup job's Edit Settings screen sequence, in the scheduling page, there's an option called "Start a new recovery point set (base)".  I have this set to Custom Weekly, and that is set to 9:30PM on Monday.  I had thought maybe this meant that BESR would hunt down and delete the old recovery point set, making room for the new one.  (I know a "true" backup does this too, but in that case it only happens if the new backup completes first). 

Remoted into the system now, I see that at 9:30 it began a whole backup.  But at 10:00 it seems it'll start yet antoher backup (the first one isn't even finished!).  So both of these optiosn in the backup job creation result in a backup starting. 

The probelm I have is that both of these options seem to require being enabled,  or I'll end up with huge amounts of disk space used for old backup files. 

So how do I avoid two backups running on Mondays?  Set the times for each option to be the same? 

Or....?

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Does this match your issue: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129983&key=53847

criley
Employee Accredited

I have this set to Custom Weekly, and that is set to 9:30PM on Monday.

Is there a reason why you have set this to 9.30PM? Why not leave it at 10PM?

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Chris,

I guess I'm not sure what the differences are between the two options beacuse they now seem to do the same thing.  .  

"Start a new recovery point set (base)" set to weekly results in a new base file (full backup) being created once a week, on Monday in my case. 

"Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup to" set to 1 with a schedule that has a backup for the week starting on Monday I guess does the exact same thing.  But I didn't realize that so I figure I should offset their start times. 

Either way this might make more sense in my head if the "start a new rec point" were set to monthly or something, then I'd see one base file and about 20 incremental backup files, right? 

Ugh it's too early in the morning, I feel utterly stupid right now so I hope I'm making half sense.  So basically I should just switch the two options to 10:00 PM and I won't have overlapping jobs?

Markus, I'm not using a management solution for BESR but I appreciate the link nonetheless! 

criley
Employee Accredited

Unless there's a specific reason to use the custom option, then don't bother using it. If it's not set correctly, it can cause problems with jobs overlapping and possibly failing.