cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 and GRT

Formula84
Level 3

It has always been told to me that having outlook installed on your SBS server will cause problems... with that said how are people with SBS and using BESR 2010 performing GRT restores?  Can this be accomplished via Installing the manager on a workstation?  Also I have a cleint with 2 Servers, 1 SBS and another standard.  The Server that is Std. has the Hard Drive hardware for backup, Installed the BESR 2010 on that box for testing, currently in trial mode on both servers, I probably will only need it for the SBS Server, what are my options once my trial runs out on the Std. Server? Can I leave the software on the Std. Server for managing the Backups of the SBS Server after putting in the license for it only?
3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited
If you don't want to install Outlook on your Exchange server, you'll need to install BESR on a separate machine where Outlook is installed. This second machine will obviously need access to the recovery points and will also need to be the same bit level as the Exchange server.

That said, what version of SBS/Exchange are you running? For newer versions of Exchange, Microsoft have removed this limitation and there are no issues with having Outlook installed on an Exchange server.

Formula84
Level 3

Thanks for your response, I have a mix of clients running SBS 2003(x86 exhcange 2003 SP2) and SBS 2008(x64 Exchange 2007 SP1).  When you say need BESR installed, is it possible to have it installed to manage a licensed remote machine?  Say I only have a license for my SBS can I install on a workstation but not use for backup and only use for managing?

criley
Employee Accredited

I think that may work as you can install into evaluation mode on your 'management workstation'. I've not tested it so can't be sure but I think it will work..