cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 backup issues

KlingeCorp4075
Level 2

I have some issues with the BESR 2010 backing up my data drive. Which is roughly 600GB to an eSATA HDD of 1TB.

Originally we tried to do this across our network to a USB drive but it took extremely long time, at least 50 hours to backup the data. (With the eSATA drive we moved from 50 hours to about 24 hours. Is there any other way to speed this up?) So we just installed the eSATA card and HDD last weekend and the backup is giving this error during use ...

Date: 3/16/2011 1:49:18 AM

Notification Type: Info
Priority: High

Description: Error EBAB03F1: The operation was canceled by the user.
Info 6C8F1C4F: A file folder operation on drive ACT/Engineering Backup was cancelled by the user.
Details: The operation was canceled by the user.

The backup starts at 9pm and runs on the server itself. No user was on the server and I can verify it was not even being clicked at the time. What can we do about this?

The event viewer does not list anything more with the error.

Server:
Windows Server 2003 Standard

Intel Xeon E5345 @ 2.33 GHz

4GB RAM

6 REPLIES 6

criley
Employee Accredited

So am I right in thinking that you are doing a file/folder backup, not a full volume level backup?

For that amount of data, I would recommend that you test a full volume level backup to see what performance this gives you.

KlingeCorp4075
Level 2

That is correct. We are performing just a backup of our data folders.

I was worried because the full volume sits at 901GB and the 1TB external space is only 931GB. Will this cause any problems for writing to the eSATA drive?

criley
Employee Accredited

I was worried because the full volume sits at 901GB and the 1TB external space is only 931GB. Will this cause any problems for writing to the eSATA drive?

Shouldn't be a problem. By default, a full volume backup will use compression so the size of the backup will be much less than the physical data that you are backing up.

KlingeCorp4075
Level 2

Would you recommend running this while the file backup is still running for our other data folder?

criley
Employee Accredited

Would you recommend running this while the file backup is still running for our other data folder?

Is this 'other data' on the same volume? If yes, probably not a good idea...

KlingeCorp4075
Level 2

Yes, this data is on the same volume. I will wait until it finishes and then run the full volume tonight and post what the results were in regards to time.

Another quick question in regards to the Volume Image backup, Norton utilizes the VSS so it will not affect people while they are working on files, correct?