cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 doesn't delete old backups

jabeam
Level 2

Hello,

I am running Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 on two windows 2003 servers and neither installation is properly deleting backups. Instead of deleting the oldest backup on the backup HD, BESR either deletes the previous backup to the one just backed up to the Backup HD or won't delete backups at all. The backups for each server are full/independent backups and they are scheduled to run Monday through Friday. Also, each backup is set to a max number of backups that is one less than the actual Backup Drive can hold (ex: the Backup drive can hold a max of 3 backups, so I only allow 2 backups so that theoretically BESR could run the necessary back up and then delete the oldest backup on the drive).

How do I get BESR to delete the oldest backup? Can BESR not recognize that a backup from the previous week is the oldest and therefore should be deleted first?

Thanks for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm currently investigating a similar issue for a customer. So far, I am unable to reproduce the issue here.

What version of BESR are you using (check in Help/About for version details)?

Are you rotating disks that are used as the backup destination?

jabeam
Level 2

We're running BESR 2010, server edition, version 9.0.0.35656. We're not rotating disks for the backup destination.

criley
Employee Accredited

As a starting point, please try upgrading to SP4 (9.0.4) - this will require a reboot.

You are running the original release of BESR 2010 and many things have been fixed since this release.

Please let us know if the problem persists with 9.0.4 or not.

jabeam
Level 2

I attempted to run LiveUpdate in order to update to SP4 but it says that my copy is update to date. Is there somewhere I can download SP4?

criley
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176813