cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 restore anywhere with Windows 7

mdougherty
Level 3
I am using BESR 2010.  I am trying to restore a Windows 7 image to a new computer using restore anywhere.  The systems have very similar hardware, but I keep receiving an error:
Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize].  The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied.  The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

I have restore anywhere checked for the System Reserved partition and C: partition.  For the System Reserved I have set partition active and restore original disk signature checked.  For C: partition I have restore original disk signature and restore MBR checked.

How do I get this restore to work?
3 REPLIES 3

digsaw
Level 4

I had a similiar issue with restore anywhere and Windows 7. Turns out if you administrator account is disabled (which it is by default on a Windows 7 box) at the time of the backup you won't be able to do a restore. It will say success but never boot. All I had to do to get it to boot again was log on with a LiveCD and reenable the local administrator account. In my case I used a forgotten password changer CD. It reenabled the account for me when it forced the password change. Then I could get past the unattended install section and boot.

Adrenaline_X
Level 3

Same issue... The Admin Account was disabled.. but unlocking it, or changing the password using a live cd didn't change my outcome.

In my opinion this is complete garbage that you a) have to do this and b) you are not warned about it.

Another 2 hours wasted waiting for the machine to be imaged and restored.

Bruce_Casler
Level 3
Partner

have you tried this

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH128352&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Using the option Restore Anywhere, hold the ctrl key and click the 'restore anywhere' option. You will see the hidden options, wherein you need to disable 'Invoke Mini Setup' After disabling Windows-mini-setup the restore should complete successfully.