Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 restore on SBS 2008 computer name change

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Support,

Thanx for all the help i've received in this forum. i really apreciate you all.

i really need help now.

i have installed BESR 2010 when it was newly released (version 9.0.0 2----- not sure exactly) and i was able to restore the recovery points i created on Windows 2003 and 2008 server and Windows 7 on desktops and laptops.

I don't really have the BESR download any longer because i deleted the file last moth when i downloaded the latest version 9.0.1 36527.

Installing this version and creating a recovery point on an SBS 2008 server and Windows 2008 servers for a client. To be used in the event of a disaster. 

i get the following display at logon "The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship". I cannot login to the SBS server using the domain credentials.

I get a .\Administrator (this obviously wants a local administrator password which i don't have on the DC). I can only login to the SBS server using the domain credentials from safe mode.

I try the file server and other servers on the network which also have their recovery points created and restored. i get the same login to local computer.

Though on these other servers i can login using the domain credentials, but i notice that the computer names for all of the servers have changed.

I was not getting this situation when i had the very first version of BESR 2010. It is strange because i checked one of the recovery points i have from the old version and i see there is a System Reserved drive (about 100MB) created. i tested a restore using this recovery point and the computer name is not changed.

This updated BESR 2010 does not have any System Reserved drive created.

I really want to know why the computer names have changed.

I do not intend to connect these restored servers to the network to avoid IP address conflicts. I do not also intend to change the computer names as the original computers still exist on the domain.

I hope i have not bored you with my note. i contacted some friends and they wanted to know if i had used VSS during the recovery point.

This i did while creating the recovery point. I also tested with manually starting the VSS service before creating another one.

Is there any document to specify step by step what need s to be done before i create the recovery point to avoid a computer name change?

Also to aid in logging on to this SBS 2008 restored server?

I will be very grateful if i can get a response. I noticed some other users have encountered similar issue with the computer name change, yet no response has been forth coming in resolving this.

thank you so very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Markus,

I finally got a solution from Symantec Support. I skipped a step in one of the documents i used. I guess i was not clear on when to use it.

I had  to uncheck the option Run Windows Mini-Setup while doing the restore to the Domain Controller.

This option is a hidden switch in the Restore Anyware option.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55329 -> Using the Hidden Options for Restore Anyware when restoring an image from the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112 -> Contains the screenshot that is used to access the hidden switches.

I hope this helps the other guys in this scenario.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, no idea sorry.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Markus,

Thanx for the reply.

i am quite surprised at this development myself.

i don't have this problem when i recover to  desktop using recovery points from desktops and laptops.

Do you have any idea how i can get the step by step guide for backing up a domain controller using BESR 2010.

i saw a document on Best practices for DC using BESR 7.0

i need the admin guide. the user guide is not very explanatory.

I just want to know if i am doing anything wrong.

I really need to get back to resolving this computername change issue.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your response. I saw this document earlier. I need to ask does this also apply to the SBS server? Since this is not just a domain controller. I will check this out on the a standalone DC.

The issue I have presently is not just the SBS server restoring. It does restore to a new HP DL 380 G6 server from a G5. But i cannot login.

I can login to the other servers restored, but the computer names are changed. The SBS server also has a computer name change when i login via Safe Mode.

I really appreciate your help. If you come across any resolution to this name change please don't hesitate to send a response.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Well since we don't have an SBS I just don't know.

I'll keep my eyes open.

As a last resort you could file a case with Symantec and post back the results.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Markus,

I really appreciate your follow up. I have filed a case with them using my scenario. I am still trying out different things to get a resolution.

Thanx again.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Markus,

I finally got a solution from Symantec Support. I skipped a step in one of the documents i used. I guess i was not clear on when to use it.

I had  to uncheck the option Run Windows Mini-Setup while doing the restore to the Domain Controller.

This option is a hidden switch in the Restore Anyware option.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55329 -> Using the Hidden Options for Restore Anyware when restoring an image from the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112 -> Contains the screenshot that is used to access the hidden switches.

I hope this helps the other guys in this scenario.