cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 7.0.1 and SQL Server

Leo1664
Not applicable
I am currently running BESR 7.0.1 Server Edition on a Win 2K3 server that is also running SQL 2000.

BESR has been configured to take a base snap shot once a week & an incremental every 4 hours, this is all working fine however our DBA is reporting that when BESR runs it freezes the databases and/or log files whilst the backup occurs & unfreezes them when the backup finishes.

This freezing is affecting performace & I was wondering if there is a way to prevent this from happening? perhaps by simply excluding the database directory?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can resolve this?

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have not already done so, you may wish to review the following technote document(s):

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery and Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/293558

I suspect that this, "freezing," is in fact VSS pausing services long enough for BESR to take a snapshot of the drive. It is this snapshot from which BESR creates the backup recovery point image from.

If you are not using command batch files to stop and start, and if you are verify that they are in the correct field within the backup job wizard settings, verify that the VSS service is still running and reporting fine during a backup job by reviewing windows event logs. Check Windows services to see if the SQL services are still stopped pass 6% of the recovery point image creation process. If the SQL service is still stopped passed that point, and you have already performed a LiveUpdate to the 7.02 build, you may want to open a support ticket with Symantec Technical support to investigate this issue further.