cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 7.0 Deletes important network files :'(!!

GreenfieldSuppo
Level 2
We use BESR 7.0.1.21808

Here at our school we use a manditory profile for all the students, which includes an NTUSER.MAN file.

Now the past couple of weeks this file has been deleting itself!! which creates havoc on the network, when the students log in without the ntuser.man they lose their desktop background, they cannot access my documents, some security is removed so they can see hidden mapped drives and a whole host of other problems!

Ive set the file permissions and added "everyone" "deny" to delete, on that one file, so not even I can delete it. Yet it still manages to delete itself!

Now we had (another) problem with BESR 7.0 where it stopped backing up, and it hasnt backed up for about 5~6 days, I researched that the problem could be solved by adding the drive backups one by one, instead of all at once :|.

Abit silly but it works,

anyway the point is for those 5-6 days we have not had a problem, the file remained intact, the students were happy. but yesterday after the backup ran, complete arachy :|.

Then I twigged as to when we Started having the problems, and it was when we upgraded this god awful program from its (even worse) predesessor version 6.5, which urm, backed up sucessfully, but wouldnt let us restore anything as the recovery point browser wouldnt open our saved files.

So my question is, Why is BESR 7.0 deleting / corrupting my ntuser.man file :(??

And why do you have so many problems with you besr series!!
weve spent £1000's of pounds on this software and never had anything but trouble from day 1!!!!

Message Edited by GreenfieldSupport on 09-28-2007 02:01 AM
4 REPLIES 4

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Hello GreenFieldSupport,

I would like to see if I can duplicate this file deletion issue.  What is the directory path for the NTUSER.MAN file?  What is the daily function of Backup Exec System Recovery?

Regards,

Rich

ANONYM0US
Level 4
Well, Rich... maybe if you had asked him back in September, he might have responded to you!

As it is now almost a month later, he should be getting to the top of the support queue just about...... now!

OOPS!!! Disconnected... Please try your call again. We know your time is important (to you, we just don't care about it as much as you do since we already have your money..) and we are hardly working to get to you as late as possible.

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Hello ANONYMOUS,

Thank you for your feedback.  I started working the Forums about a week ago.  The Forums is an area that has needed some additional attentions and it is my goal to give it as much attention as I can.  When starting with a task like this, picking a place to start is often the most difficult decision.  I have picked a starting spot, started reponses, and moving forward.  I am looking forward to and appreciate all of your comments and feedback.

I have been supporting the LiveState Recovery / Backup Exec System Recovery product for about four years now.  I am excited to be here to help with the questions that are placed in the forum.

Cheers,

Rich L

ANONYM0US
Level 4

Rich,

Please understand that my frustration is not directed at you personally. We have been trying to evaluate BESR for over 3 months and through an extraordinary series of snafu’s we have been stonewalled trying to get a fully functioning trial copy of the software, had tech’s tell us the problem is with Microsoft software, had support cases closed when we were informed they would only be suspended, forced to create new cases and still we have NO answer to an issue we find hard to believe we are the first to encounter.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=111&thread.id=2400

Then, I try to get some help here, (I realize these are advertised as “Peer-Support” forums, but your presence here as more than just a Forum Moderator is disingenuous to say the least) and when I peruse the responses from Official Symantec Reps,  they are neither timely nor informative!  (you, for example, a month behind.. do you really think that guy has been waiting all this time, hoping you would come along and give him the answer he needs, or did he go and do what your partner Bill keeps telling people… “You should probably open a case with Support”

Is it just me or is this just an example of Symantec telling us you don’t care about your customers?  “Let’s create a P2P forum and we can appear to be helping when in reality we can limit the criticism by dumping comments that we don’t like!” <Insert evil laugh here>

Then, when we throw up our hands in frustration here, we have to go and spend more time and money on support that may or may not be able to assist us! It shouldn’t take a month to answer one question! Point me in the right direction! Escalate my issue! I find it difficult to believe that we are the first shop to stumble on this problem. You mean to say that NOTHING like this has been brought to your attention before? Give me a job in QA then, because I can break **bleep**e like no other man I know!!! (Besides Tim Taylor maybe :D )

Either we have totally screwed the pooch and installed something backwards, upside down and in an alien tongue, in which case talk me down and show me where I went wrong, (hard for me to wrap my head around, given the simplicity of the install and creation of restore points) OR our environment is soooo unique that this really is the first time this has happened and NO ONE else has experienced anything like this before OR there are bugs in your software that even your engineers don’t understand and we really should be looking for another solution!

Well, I’m heading home now, so I’ll end this rant.

Take care, good luck here and tell your bosses to get you some help in here. This place could be a tremendous asset, but it seems to me to be an empty promise.