cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.0 compatibility with Backup Exec 11d

M2A
Level 3
Hi,

We are planning to purchase BESR but not sure which version to go as BESR 8.0 just came out and I just read on one of the forums in here that it has issues with Backup Exec 11d (see below)

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=111&thread.id=3147

Hello,

downloaded and Licensed BESR 8.01...

Don't work with Symantec Backup 11D !

AOFO - Microsoft VSS is no longer working after Installation Besr 8.01 - no more function.

Don't Install BESR8.01 on the Machines where you use Backup Exec 11d to Backup the Media or Remote Server !

Since all of our servers have Backup Exec 11d (and remote agents) installed, I'm kinda worried that there might be some potential issues if we go for BESR 8.0 and install it as a complimentary backup for our servers. Could someone please help clarify this issue?

Thanks,

M2A

5 REPLIES 5

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This customer may be refering to the following issue addressed in this technote:

Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers (BEWS) Microsoft Exchange or SQL Server backups performed in conjunction with Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 renders successful BEWS Exchange or SQL differential or incremental backups unrecoverable.

M2A
Level 3
Thanks for the clarification David.Smiley Happy

Cary_Hostrawser
Level 3
I ran into a problem with BESR 8.01 and sharing on a USB hard drive on Windows 2003 server. It may or may not delete permissions, but it will definitely disable network path permissions. Since the removable USB hard drives are part of my back up resourses, this prevents me from keeping BESR installed.
Interestingly enough, Norton Ghost 12 causes the identical problem on an XP machine, which I use to back up computer installs on client machine hard drives. I only upgraded to 12 because my old version 9 fails on restore a drive to a smaller sized drive.

Tech support was guessing my solution was removing Symantec Corporate Anti-virus and installing BESR first then reinstalling Corp Anti-virus. That failed to solve the problem on the XP machine. And given the server with BESR is also the anti-virus server, it is a major task to remove and reinstall, then re-authentic every client based on a guess from tech support. To go through that much work, I want a guaranty that is a solution.

Some times it seems the support department does not seem to undertand we're not operating in a lab with one server and one client machine. But have production machines where the boss wants the answer that this is the solution before they go into the expense of letting a server be taken off line and the work expended on all those clients machines.

I'm a bit worried now about this problem with SQL. That is part of the transition process I'm getting into at the current time. I'm begining to think getting BESR was just an expensive mistake.

Claw99b
Level 2

I run BESR 8 with BE11D on the same Windows 2003 R2 Server using 2 USB 500 GIG External drives, 1 internal 250 gig Drive and 1 internal Ultrium Tape Drive. At first it would not work, so I had to uninstall everything and reinstall. I first Installed BE11D and then installed BESR 8.1 in a completely different directory. Once I did that, everything worked great. I have 1 Incremental backup and 2 full backups running on the drives and 1 full tape backup running on the tape drive every day. In addition I also created an Automated Restore Disk set in Windows Server 2003 R2 in case of a windows OS glitch. So far it has been running great.  

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That is a clever solution, thanks for your contribution.