cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5.3 problems reporting and completing backups.

stant0s
Level 2

Hello,

This issue has been on and off since I installed the suite two months ago - multiple calls to support havent resolved the issue, so I thought I would try here...

We have 1 manager (server 2003 std. r2 sp2) with 6 clients (all server 2003 std r2 sp2) Image set(s) are as follows; 1 base image followed by 5 incrementals per week. This works fine for the most part, but when it comes to creating a new base recovery point (where it would delete the previous weeks) it just doesn't complete. It's very intermittent, but within the event viewer of a BESR client, the status shows that the backup had started, then it restarts the service. As far as I'm aware it looks like it complete C:\ then starts E:\ and fails..Obviously these drives have purely data on, and no OS/Apps. Within Windows Event viewer, the below is present 1 second before the restart message in BESR. 

"The Backup Exec System Recovery service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

The 'only' thing I can think of, is that Maxdb/ SQL is running on the machines and maybe it doesnt have exclusive rights to the file when it is being backed up, so it cancels. The odd thing is though, BESR has absolutely no log of this happening. The only info it shows is the backup starting and then the service restarts. In the destination directory the Images are present for the day it 'didn't work', although it hasnt deleted the previous weeks Image Set and it reports it hasnt been backed up since the friday...but...the data IS there.

I've removed the clients, and reinstalled, along with removing the PQJ, and PQH files and the recovery job. This seems to work right up until the new recovery set is due. Symantec had taken a host of logs but had since found nothing.

So to summarise;

Backups run nightly, creating a new recovery point Sunday AM.
BESR Manager reports backups were last run the day before the new recovery set was due. It does however create teh v2i files in the backup desitnation on the server (the sizes look about right as well) but doesn't delete the previous weeks data.
It is intermittent - it works some weeks, but others not. There are no backups other than BESR running at the time, or due to be run around that time.
BESR Event viewer reports the scheduled backup starting, and then the service starting soon after (certainly when the backup is in process) but nothing else - no errors, nothing.

The next thing for me to try is to stop the maxdb Service running prior to starting the backup - it's on a sunday, so gets zero use,

I would appreciate any info/help.

Regards,

Steve

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Multiple calls to support, and no resolution?  umm..  Time to ask for a duty manager for backline escalation.  Just tell the first person you speak to, "I want to talk to a duty manager."