cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5 Recover WinXP Pro in Extended Partition Fails

VernonX
Level 2
I need to migrate my hardware platform. Current hw has {on a single physical volume} WinXP Pro on primary partition C:, extended partition with WinXP Pro on logical drive D:, applications are installed on logical drive E:, and data is keep on logical drive F:.

I’ve done a backup of c:, d:, e:, and f: with restore anyware licensed. I can do a restore of all the volumes. C: boots properly and I can get the required drivers to install. D: will boot but gets BSOD and immediate reboot. I can boot d: in safe mode with networking and install all the needed drivers (based on Device Manager showing no ? devices). However, d: will not boot in normal mode (get BSOD, but it happens so fast I cannot see error code/info).

Looking for ideas on how to resolve.

4 REPLIES 4

AJT
Level 6
Looks like your drive letters are incorrect in the Registries Mounted Devices key, way to hard to explain on how to fix up the registry. Maybe you could get your original XP installation CD and boot to it and select repair.

Hope This Helps :)

VernonX
Level 2
Did that already, problem remains.

VernonX
Level 2

IPVNMON.SYS was the problem, not BESR 8.5. Renamed (added .xxx extension) and boot went as expected. I have no idea of why it is ok on source system and not on target.

AJT
Level 6
I’ve have trouble in the past with system monitoring drivers they will not allow the system to boot up after a Restore Anyware, I think it’s because they are tied to the motherboard and when they startup they expect the motherboard resources to be there. I end up disabling them just like you did. I’ve never see the IPVNMON.SYS though. Good job solving this and thanks for posting your results!