cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5 - domain servers/restored to new hardware

NetworkGuy954
Level 3
Hi all,

Basically I've successfully installed a clone of an image from older domain server (c: drive) to a newer Server C:.

I booted the new system (unplugged from the lan) and all is well. My question is eventually I'll need to put this on the domain once I bring down the original server. I'd like to keep the domain name, and just take the old one offline.   

Did you guys run into any issues with using the same name or did you have to rename your newer system to something else? (if you did/or have done something similar to what i'm doing which is basically migration to new hardware) 

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This technote (although a little dated) provides some good information on restoring a domain controller. We are in the process of updating this for later version of BESR and Windows 2008.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294301.htm

NetworkGuy954
Level 3
they will come in handy since I have to do the same for our DC and exchange ........

basically here is what I did........I reran the recovery to the new server(these are HP proliant servers old and new I'm dealing with )...this time I didn't choose the bootable partition option (left unchecked) 

ran the recovery and it basically pulled over everything (including the server name, domain name in "log onto"..etc) to the new hardware...just have to load the network drivers..etc for it. I'm good with that since that basically what I wanted to do was make an exact clone to new hardware then transport to NAP location to set up colocation from there to our HQ via managed router services.

once that end is up and running fine I'll switch over outside IP on the asa and bring it to NAP and decommission old servers after testing..etc.

all good so far keeping fingers crossed

marcogsp
Level 6
NetworkGuy954 -- BESR Version 8.0 and higher usually works quite well for migrating DC's and Exchange Servers to new hardware.  Just don't wait too long to deploy the migrated DC lest it becomes tombstoned.  On occasion, I have  forgeten  to reimage my lab DCs and the images older than 60 days will not restore a working DC.  I then use the images of my production servers to rebuild the lab DCs.

One of the issues to be aware of is restoring a DC that also has FSMO roles.  If you transfered the FSMO roles before imaging, then it is usually alright to reintroduce the DC back into the domain.  The same is true of imaging a well funtioning FSMO role holder and then transfering to new hardware for immediatle deployment.  If you had to sieze any of the roles that exist on the imaged server, you are better off restoring the DC to a lab environment and then demoting it to a member server.  It is also a good idea to clen up the metadata in the AD for this server before reintroduing it in the domain an promoting it again.

Best of luck

Marco

NetworkGuy954
Level 3
I read about the 60 day rule (down from180) in the notes from the link andreas provided. I will keep that in mind. Also thanks for the added information about FSMO roles.

Andreas: I ran the recovery toggled around selection during recovery and the new hardware is now recovered with all the domain name information, server name..etc. that I questioning about. Basically it's an identical system minus the new network drivers I need to install (which is fine, that's what I wanted actually) 

I can now finish up the other 5 servers and transport them over. 

I update this and keep everyone informed on how this goes since I know somebody else will eventually perform a DC move basically which includes migrating to new hardware..etc.

Thanks 

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Thank you NetworkGuy954. Any information posted to help the next person is greatly appreciated.