cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5 error message after loading network adapter driver

mdougherty
Level 3
I receive the following message when I try to renew an IP address, after installing the network adapter for the Intel 825xx Gigabit (I tried from both the Dell Site and the Intel site with no luck).  I am trying to create an image using BESR 8.5 from a Dell Optiplex 760.  This is the error:

A command line error saying, 'An error occurred while releasing
interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file
specified.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
operation'

I know that I installed the correct driver, so I am not sure why this error is occuring.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mdougherty
Level 3
It turns out both drivers worked.  So I was wrong thinking one may be more up to date.  If you press F12 during the boot process and select the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension, you must DISABLE this.  Then we had no issue.  It must have been overriding everything.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

criley
Employee Accredited
As you are using 8.5, you need to make sure that the driver you are using is W2K8/Vista based.

mdougherty
Level 3
Even though I am using XP, the driver must be Vista?

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, the SRD for 8.5 is WinPE 2.1 based which uses W2K8/Vista drivers.

mdougherty
Level 3
I downloaded the W2K8/Vista drivers from the Intel site.  Loaded the drivers in SRD 8.5, but I keep receiving the same error message.  Why is this?

criley
Employee Accredited
What version of the 8.5 SRD are you using (latest version is 8.5.5)?

mdougherty
Level 3
Verion 8.5.0.28843

criley
Employee Accredited
That's very old. You should test with 8.5.5 which you can get here:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51798

mdougherty
Level 3
I understand, but that would be my boss' call, not mine.  I think the version I have should work either way.  It had no problem working with the Optiplex 745 and 755, so I have no clue why it is having such a difficult time now.

criley
Employee Accredited
To clarify; I'm only saying that you should test with the 8.5.5 SRD to see if this helps. Of course, it's your decision if you dont want to go down this route.

mdougherty
Level 3
No, I understand what you mean.  I am just puzzled why the current product is not working like it should.

mdougherty
Level 3
Anyone else know how to solve this problem?  Using a Dell Optiplex 760 w/ Windows XP SP3.  Trying to put a backup on a Windows 2003 server.  The network card for the Dell is an Intel 82567lm Gigabit Network Adapter.  Using backup exec Version 8.5.0.28843.  Thanks.  I tried all drivers, XP, Vista, 7, from the dell site and intel site, but no luck.

marcogsp
Level 6
mdougherty -- I sent a reply to your private message with some detail on creating a custom SRD for the Optiplex 760.  Definitely need to use the Vista 32 bit drivers, and those drivers must be extracted from the driver archive in order for the SRD to use them.  The SRD has no native fuctionality for extracting the drivers from a driver archive.

Here are the instructions I sent:

(1) Copy the entire contents of the SRD to a folder on a drive with sufficient space . This has to be done on a workstation with BESR 8.5x installed on it.  I named my folder SRD, but it can be named anything descriptive.

(2) Open the DDB below your SRD folder in the hard drive location.  For the Intel Netork drivers, I created a folder below DDB named Intel-3GB.  I then copied the extracted driver archive into this folder.  7 zip from 7-zip.org came in handy for this.  The folder tree should look something like this with four folders containing drivers below the Intel-3GB folder:

SRD
   - DDB
         - Intel-3GB
                 - vista32
                 -  vistax64
                 -  xp32
                 -  xpx64

(3)  If you are having trouble with the Intel Matrix storage drivers create a folder called 82801xx_raid below the DDB folder.  Yes, there is a similarly named folder that already exists but just ignore that.

(4) Copy the extracted vista driver files from the driver archive to the newly created folder.  May need 7-zip again. It should look something like
this:

SRD
   - DDB
         - 82801xx_raid
              iaahci.cat
              iaahci.inf
              iastor.cat
              iastor.inf
              IaStor.sys
              TXTSETUP.OEM

(5) Open BESR and click on Tasks - Create Recovery Disk, and follow the 
prompts

(6) When prompted for the SRD location, point to the hard drive folder 
containing the copied SRD contents.  Finish the SRD creation process.  I 
usually have it make an ISO and then burn the ISO with my favorite burning 
software.

When booting with the custom SRD, you network drivers may still not be 
recognized.  When loading from drivers from the GUI, just browse out to the 
\DDB\Intel-3GB\vista32\elk6032.inf on the SRD and that should load the 
network drivers for you.

Best of Luck!

mdougherty
Level 3
Where did you download the network driver from?  When I look in the vista32 folder, one named elk6032 is not there.

marcogsp
Level 6
It was so long ago, I don't remember.  I may have obtained the drivers from the drivers CD included with the system.  I'll try downloading some of the current offerings and see if I can get any to work at this end.  I hope to have an answer by tomorrow.

marcogsp
Level 6
I was able to get this working with recent downloads from Dell and Intel support sites.  The simplest to get working was from Dell, since the Vista drivers only contained one inf iile.  I downloaded   "NIC_DRVR_WIN_R234070.EXE" from here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R234070&SystemID=PLX_760&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=11814&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=5&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=336869

I then extracted the driver archive to a covenient folder.  In that folder there was a folder named "payload".  The files in this folder are the Vista 32 bit drivers that will get the SRD to work.  I just erased the files in my SRD location and then copied the files back from the "payload" location.  The thing to keep in mind is that the resultant folder structure can be anything that helps you keep it all organized and recognizable. As long as the files needed are available, you can get whatever folder stucture you prefer to work.

When using the SRD I created I did have to browse for the inf file in order to load the NIC driver.  Since I used the Dell download, there was only one inf file in the resultant folder which made it easy to find.  The Intel download had many inf files to chose from, so I would avoid that download.

mdougherty
Level 3
OK, I loaded the file.  Instead of creating a new disk, I just used my original and copied the driver file to a floppy.  I loaded the file with no problem.  When I go to renew the IP, I keep getting the error message

A command line error saying, 'An error occurred while releasing
interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file
specified.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
operation'

Is it necessary I install the Intel Matrix drivers even though I have the SATA operation set to ATA mode, not AHCI?

I really appreciate the help.

marcogsp
Level 6
As long as you can access the local drives with the SRD, I think you can safely leave out loading the Intel Matrix drivers.

I was able to reproduce the error condition you decribe.  Please keep in mind that you do not have to manually grab an IP address from your DHCP server after loading the driver.  If the networking services have loaded properly, they will grab an IP address when you load the driver for the NIC. 

If you truly need to renew then  IP address then don't let the error messages throw you.  I used both the Run IPconfig utility in the Network tab. and ipconfig from a command prompt in the Analyze tab.  I think the key is to release the address first before renewing it.  I also tried various combinations of the ipconfig switches, namely:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /release /all
ipconfig /renew

In each case errors where thrown up, but the IP address was renewed and I was able to utilize network functions.  As I mentioned before, you shouldn't need to manually grab an IP address, so try allowing the networking service to automatically grab one after the driver is loaded.  If that fails then try manually, but with relaesing the IP address first.

I hope this explanation helps

mdougherty
Level 3
It is setup to automatically give an IP.  I was just renewing and releasing as a test.  Each time I did so, I received the error message.  I am not sure why but even after I install the network drivers, the adapter is not found.  I would link this to a hardware failure, but since I am able to access my network while in the Windows environment, I know this is not the case. 

When I start the service, it still says cannot get network adapters.  Releasing the IP fails saying no adapter is in the state.....

This really makes no sense to me.

marcogsp
Level 6
I was getting the same errors in my testing, but I just ignored them.  You can ignore the cannot get network adapter error because if you load the proper driver, network connectivity should be gained.  I think a lot of these errors are just the idiosyncrasies of the WinPE environment.  It doesn't have to make sense as long as you can map a network drive afterward.   I just focus on the task at hand and don't allow the errors to distract me too much.  As long as I can map a network drive afterward, the process can throw out as many errors as it wants to.

I tested this morning with a version 8.5.1 SRD CD burned from the factory ISO.  I loaded the extracted driver files downloaded from the previously linked Dell location to a thumb drive. I included every file that was in the "payload" folder.  I attached the thumb drive to the Optiplex 760 before booting with the SRD.  When the starting networking services complained about the missing adapter, I acknowledged the error and allowed the rest of the rest of the process to complete.  I then loaded the driver from the thumb drive location and was able to map a network drive afterward.  I did no other checks for IP address assignment, nor tried to release and renew.

In my setup, I'm using the factory onboard NIC interface and no other network adaters are attached to the unit.  I'm assuming your NIC setup is the same and that you are using the same drivers downloaded from the location I got mine.  I'm also assuming that your DCHP server is not restricting IP address assignments by MAC address.