cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5 error message after loading network adapter driver

mdougherty
Level 3
I receive the following message when I try to renew an IP address, after installing the network adapter for the Intel 825xx Gigabit (I tried from both the Dell Site and the Intel site with no luck).  I am trying to create an image using BESR 8.5 from a Dell Optiplex 760.  This is the error:

A command line error saying, 'An error occurred while releasing
interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file
specified.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
operation'

I know that I installed the correct driver, so I am not sure why this error is occuring.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

mdougherty
Level 3
Here is a roundup.  I am doing the process as I type it.  I booted to the BESR 8.5 CD.  The CD loaded the files.  I have a external floppy attached that I loaded the payload driver file onto.  I clicked accept for the agreement.  I clicked Yes to load network services.  I received an error "could not get network adapters" and clicked OK.  Next, I clicked Load a Driver and selected E1k6032 from the floppy.  I receive the message the driver successfully loaded. 
Next I clicked network.  Clicked Map a network drive.  I type the address and receive the message "The network path was not found" (I know for a fact this is the correct path).

The DCHP does not restrict the IP addresses to be assigned and I am using no other network adapters.

mdougherty
Level 3
It's making me believe the wrong network driver is loading.  But this is an error I get no matter where I get the driver from.  And I know I am looking up the correct hardware since I looked at it numerous times in Windows to make sure I did not mess up a little.

marcogsp
Level 6
I think interference from another driver is more likely.  The SRD does load some drivers at boot time, and there have been issues with different manufacturers NICs that use similar networking chipsets..  An already loaded driver may be interfering with your attempts to load the proper driver.  The earliest version of the SRD that I have is version 8.5.1 but yours may be an earlier version.

Without having your version of the SRD to test with, it would be hard to test at this end.  The drivers should encompass any variations in the NIC's firmware that occur ed during the production run of the Optiplex 760's mainboard.  Perhaps you should try updating the firmware for the mainboard and see if that makes a difference.

Beyond that, I think Chris Riley's suggestion about testing with the version 8.5.5 SRD is your best hope.  Please keep in mind that you would not need to install the full version of the product in order to test the newer SRD.  The newer SRD will restore images made with older versions of this product.  When downloading the trial version, please be sure to download all the ISO images presented.  I believe there are three.  One of those ISO's is the SRD.  If the newer SRD does work with your equipment, then you have a stronger case for upgrading.  You've indicated that several weeks have already been spent trying to get your current version to work.  Providing the newer version works, the current number of hours spent on this project would have to be close to the cost up upgrading the product.

mdougherty
Level 3
I greatly appreciate the help.  Just tested out 8.5.5.  Same problem.  But thanks again for your support.  Hopefully I'll be able to make the images before we start rolling the machines into production.

mdougherty
Level 3
OK, this situation has been resolved by my boss.  It turns out the e1k6032 was the correct driver file.  The thing is, the one I was using was modified at 12:56 AM, while the one he found was at 4:56 AM.  I am guessing between this time changes were made to the driver file, making the one I was using only appear correct.  I would like to thank you both for your help with this matter!

mdougherty
Level 3
It turns out both drivers worked.  So I was wrong thinking one may be more up to date.  If you press F12 during the boot process and select the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension, you must DISABLE this.  Then we had no issue.  It must have been overriding everything.

marcogsp
Level 6
Michael -- Thanks for sharing the solution.I was thinking that a CMOS settings reset might fix your issue, but your solution is better because you don't have to open the case.  The enabled management extension may have not allowed the NIC to be "tickled" in order to wake it up.  I remember some of the earlier 3Com NICs  wouldn't work with a Ghost boot disk unless you loaded 3Com's diagnotic utility first.  After that the driver could load properly.

Marco

vnavna
Level 3
I had the same problem and I created the disk right from the 760 PC. It came up with the same issues of "Could not get network adapters." after the  networking was started. I went to Dell's web site and downloaded the Windows 7 32 bit driver for the intel drivers and put it on a flash drive and carried it to the 760 PC while the bootable BESR interface was up. I then opened up a command prompt and installed the drivers while inside of the boot disk. It then was able to get an IP address and I was able to map a drive to my recovery location.