Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8 Won't Do Incremental

JoePrecious
Level 2
Partner

Hi

One of our customers is running BESR 8 on a Windows Small Business Server 2003.  They have a few issues with disks which have now been resolved but BESR is now no longer offering to do any incremental backups at all - all backups are independent base jobs.

We've tried a full reinstall of BESR more than once, including ensuring all application job and history information is removed during the reinstall.  We've ensured that all the latest patches are installed via LiveUpdate.

When you create a new job, it doesn't give the option to create a weekly base job with daily incrementals - all jobs are created a independent base backups.  We've also tried remove all existing backups from the destination disk and restarting the server (more than once).

Any idea what may be causing this and what we might be able to do to fix it?  The server also have Backup Exec 12 installed for tape backups, but this was never a problem in the past.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joe

6 REPLIES 6

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Normally this would indicate that there are already volume based backup jobs configured for the certain drives on this server. You could try to delete the Schedule folder that contains the *.pqj files and recreated it as emtpy folder. Stop the BESR services before you delete the folder and re-create the job afterwards.

EGA
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the same problem with a BESR8. It happened after restoring an old backup, I deleted the old incremental backup task because the destination has changed in the meantime.
After that, I wanted to create a new one (none in the list) but I no longer can now schedule an incremental backup.
I tried the suggested solution but it does not work.

Best regards.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Joe,

Locate this file on your server:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Logs\Backup Exec System Recovery.log.txt

Do a search in that file for any errors that might have occured in the time frame the backup was scheduled to occur. (If you are running BE on the same machine, it is recommended that you upgrade to the latest version, or at least the latest BE 12.5. There may be a compatability issue between the version of BEWS and BESR you are using).

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?