cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8 blue screens when running backup

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4
I am running it on an SBS 2003 server, which is a VMWare Server 1.04 guest OS.

It blue screens every time I try to run a backup (STOP 7F,  error code d).

Funny that nobody else sems to be having this problem - any ideas what to do?
7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4
Wow, this is quite a puzzling situation...

Symantec is smart enough to allow 60 day trials, but won't support the products during that 60 days.  I guess it makes sense in a way, as their support network would be flooded with people wanting to get the software running quck so they can see it work.

But wait, what do you think the chances are that someone will buy a piece of software when they can't get the eval to work?  Would you buy software that you haven't been able to try, only to find out that it won't work?  Isn't that what eval is to find out?

While these forums are a good idea, they don't seem to be monitored by Symantec - I have a posting a month old with zero replies, and others even older with nothing useful.

Symantec is coming up with all these great software products, but the support for them is weak.

A shame - I was hoping to suggest BESR as a protection product for a client with 4 servers - that's just revenue out the window for Symantec, if I can't get it to work onthe bench.

Joseph_L_
Level 5
Employee

General information on Stop error 7F:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=137539

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

Thanks, but BESR doesn't work with Virtual Machines, so there's no point in looking further into it. 

Because I have found other Symantec Enterprise products either unreliable or difficult to configure, I wouldn't recommend BESR as a real Enterprise recovery solution, since I am unable to test it first.  I am not going to buy and set up a server for the sole purpose of testing this product.  That's why I have VMWare - I can set up a server in minutes, trash it with my test and not worry if it screws things up totally.  BESR won't work with that...

Also, since Symantec's support is so hit and miss, it would be insane to depend on them to keep your business afloat.

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
BESR works in both VMWare and Microsoft Hyper-V. It also suppports converting images to virtual disk formats for both applications.

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

Since this was posted 5 months ago, I can't remember where I found the document that stated that BESR doesn't work on a Virtual Machine.  So, Jon_R, you say that I can install your BESR Trial on a SBS2003 server guest OS in VMWare, and it should work?  Becasue I would love to try it, and possibly recommend it to at least two multi-server clients if it appears to work well...

Because I got a STOP 7F error every time I tried to run it, I eventually just uninstalled it and gave up. 

Since the trial is only 60 days, and since it took me 5 months to get a reponse in the Peer to Peer Discussion forums (the only support option provided with trialware), the trial was not very useful.

Is it possible that BESR8.0 was not VMWare-friendly, and that support for virtual machines was added with 8.5?

Also, has Symantec published a paper, explaining how to configure Backup Exec and BESR together to provide a complete backup and recovery solution?  Marketing claims that the two together work well for such a solution, but I was unable (at last search) to find any documentation that helped bring it together.

Thanks for your reply.

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

BESR has been able to work inside of VMWare from at the latest version 7.0 onward. I have not tested anything earlier than this. Did this error (STOP 7f) come up inside of a VMWare instance or was it in a physical machine?

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

The server runs Linux as a host (Centos) and VMWare 2 (OK, it was running 1.04 when I posted this).

I had installed Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 (SP2) on it as a guest, and was just using it as a platform to test things out on.  (I use it more now for running my network.)  After installing BESR 8 and applying whatever updates I could find, I decided to try actually using it. 

It's been too long since this happened for me to know specifically what the steps were that I took, but when I tried to create the first image, it blue-screened the guest OS - every time.  It was not necessary to restart the host - just the guest OS had to be rebooted.  The guest ran fine otherwise - the only thing I couldn't do was run BESR.