cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR Desktop 8.5 SRD Freeze

Porridge
Level 2
Hi All.
I have finally given up searching the forum for something which resembles the issue I have encountered.

I have Vista Business 32bit installed on a Core2Quad PC with about 100gb in the drive.
That machine is also a Dual Boot with Windows 7.

I have backed up the Vista 32bit Drive to an External USB Drive.
I have made a Cistom SRD and I have an original SRD.

I am trying to recover the drive to an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo with Athlon XP3200+ and 3GB RAM.
Hard Drive is 150GB

Both SRDs freeze on the 2nd Screen.... Microsoft Corporation, just after the "Loading Windows Files" screen.

I have disconnected the Raid/SATA drive in the Destination PC.

Does anybody know why the SRD will not load?

Thanks in advance.
Porridge
9 REPLIES 9

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Porridge - Does your machine allow you to boot to your Windows Vista Ent CD-ROM?

Is the latest BIOS running on the target machine?

Porridge
Level 2
Hi Andreas.
It's not the latest Bios, But anything later is for features that are not applicable to my PC Setup (samsung DDR400 RAM etc.).
It is set to boot from CD.DVD.
DG-P

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The 8.5 Recovery CD is based on the Windows 2008 R1 OS. Often, a BIO upgrade will remedy this. Please try that. If that does not work, you can disconnect the controller and or drives altogether and see if that is the culprit. This may take some time, but my guess is that there is some hardware that it is getting stuck on when the Microsoft shell is attempting to load.

Shite
Level 3
Hey Andreas.
Your original post was correct.  I cannot get the system to boot from a Windows DVD either.

With BESR SRD and Windows Vista DVD, I get the same Hang.
First Screen "Windows is loading files....".
Second Screen: Black Screen with Load Bar with green scroller and just "Microsoft Corporation".... and the scroll bar just freezes.

I have changed DVD Drive.
I have disabled SATA on the MoBo.
Single HDD (IDE) on Primary IDE
DVD on Secondary IDE.
Upgraded Bios to Latest.

Can't find any thread in any forum about it.

Any Ideas ??

AJT
Level 6
If you've got an older SRD or a Windows XP/W2K3 install CD, try that and see if the system hangs.
If the system still hangs go into the bios and play around with the CD/DVD settings if you see any  settings.

Hope This Helps :)

Shite
Level 3
Hi AJT.
Thanks for helping out.  This is driving me MAD !!!

Tried March 09 SRD and orrig XP DVD and Vista DVD.
Just had a look in the Bios, and boot seqence and all looks to be OK.

AJT
Level 6
Issue Resolved?

Shite
Level 3
No change since LAST MONTH.
Breaking my Heart.

AJT
Level 6
If your system supports booting from USB, try this:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/creating-bootable-usb-version-srd

Just use the latest SRD.