cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR Management Solution Installation fails

Mital
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm facing this problem for a whole week and its driving me mad... I've installed BESR 2010 on a server, and I'm now trying to install the BESR 2010 Management Solution on another Server 2003 virtual machine. It installs the DotNet, SQLExpress fine, and when Symantec Installation Manager reaches the point of asking me to select a product, it fails. After I select any of BESR 2010 Management Solution/ BESR 2010 Installater/ Symantec Management Platform 2010, I get an error: Symantec Installation Manager - A file not found error has occured whilst trying to download or copy http://www.solutionsam.com/solutions/7/qa/suite_solutions_rc2_v4/altiris_auditintegrationcomponent_upgrade_x86.msi . It asks me to click OK and then Retry and it keeps switching between OK/Retry. Cancel is the only way out.

Symantec Installation Manager error

The file altiris_auditintegrationcomponent_upgrade_x86.msi is present at
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris, but it is 0KB in size hence corrupt.

I created 3 virtual machines from scratch with Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise 32-bit, installed Windows updates, enabled IIS, ASP as required, but getting the same errors. I've downloaded the Management Solution DVD twice, used differerent extractors (for Zip & ISO), I've mounted the ISO - they all give the same errors. Where could I be going wrong???

Please advise, as I want to evaluate the product if it satisfied our needs.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not sure why you see altiris_auditintegrationcomponent_upgrade_x86.msi as this file is not required for BESR-MS (I checked my server and it is not present).

Try this to see if it helps:

1. Start SIM (Symantec Installation Manager)

2. Click on Settings

3. Cilck on 'Change product listing...'

4. Select symantec.pl.xml and click OK

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, if i try to open the URL in a browser I get the following result:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #50.5a398d4.1298969287.d2bac6f

Maybe a server problem.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have Internet connection available on that Virtual Machine??

Tha path shows " http://www.solutionsam.com/solutions/....... " This suggest that its trying to download the required file from Internet and is not able to connect to the Internet.

If you do not have  Internet connection on that virtual machine then please try the installation on the server which has Internet connection.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Mital
Level 3

Hi Markus, indeed - its an invalid URL that its attempting to access. http://www.solutionsam.com does not exist so I don't see why it would try to get files from there. altiris_auditintegrationcomponent_upgrade_x86.msi is not on the installation media kit, unless its within any other packaged files.

One more thing - I don't have a proxy either, hence a direct Internet connection.

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not sure why you see altiris_auditintegrationcomponent_upgrade_x86.msi as this file is not required for BESR-MS (I checked my server and it is not present).

Try this to see if it helps:

1. Start SIM (Symantec Installation Manager)

2. Click on Settings

3. Cilck on 'Change product listing...'

4. Select symantec.pl.xml and click OK

Mital
Level 3

Hi Sush,

The VM has direct Internet access. The URL seems invalid though. http://www.solutionsam.com doesn't seem to exist!

Mital
Level 3

Hi Chris, great stuff man - changing the product listing files resolved my problem. The default selected was BESRMS.pl.xml on all my servers, and switching it to symantec.pl.xml allowed me to proceed. It updated the Installation Manager, then Windows Installer 4.5 and then allowed installation of BESR 2010 Managerment Solution, BESR Installer SP2 etc.

I can now open the Management Solution Web Page!

Thanks a lot!

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Great, I also hit the same problem today and now it save me many hours just to search in this forum and i got it.

thanks all !

Mital
Level 3

Its good that this helped you. I struggled for nearly 2 weeks, downloaded new media, created virtual servers again. I wonder if this is a bug/problem with the latest media kit, as I couldn't find the problem affecting anyone else or the solution anywhere on the Internet, before posting here.