cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR Manager: I have deleted a managed server but cannot add it back to the management console

MPLamont
Level 3
Symnatec Backup Exec System Recovery: v 8.5.3.31483
Symnatec Backup Exec System Recovery Manager: v 8.5.3.31946
Symnatec Backup Exec System Recovery Manager Server: v 8.5.2.31871

Hello,

I have recently installed BESR Manager and BESR on several servers to be centrally manged.  I needed to remove one of the servers and did so by using the "unmanage" option and wanted to re-add it again.  I used the original Easy installer packages as well as created new installers (i.e Management Control) as indicated in the Symantec document but the servers still do not appear in the Management console.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

M
9 REPLIES 9

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you re-installed management control on those servers? If so, maybe try a manual publish by running the following executable:

\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Management Control\PublisherUI.exe

MPLamont
Level 3
Hi Chris,

Yes I reinstalled  the management control a few times (even tried after creating a new easyinstaller package).

when i run the PublisherUI.exe app and try to publish, it fails.  The following is the web address:

https://192.168.10.10:8443/axis/services/Publisher

your assistance is greatly appreciated.

M

criley
Employee Accredited
If you look in the event logs, what error do you see just after attempting a manual publish?

I assume you can ping the BESRM server by ip address from this server that fails to publish?

MPLamont
Level 3
Networking connectivity is fine and has been checked.

The error is below:
=========================================================================
Event Type:    Warning
Event Source:    Backup Exec System Recovery
Event Category:    High Priority
Event ID:    100
Date:        21/10/2009
Time:        9:01:16 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    0DXB1DC1
Description:
Error E339197C: An error occurred while publishing. System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Unable to register computer. String index out of range: -1 Unable to register computer. String index out of range: -1
Details:
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery Management Control
==========================================================================

criley
Employee Accredited
Do you see any errors around the same time on the management server? Are you able to successfully run a manual publish from a different server/workstation?

I cannot find any particular useful info on this error so unless there are some helpful errors on the management server, I would suggest trying:

1. Uninstall management control
2. Reboot
3. Reinstall management control
4. Try manual publish

MPLamont
Level 3
I will try this and something else I just came accross later this evening when I can reboot the server.  I will let you know tomorrow how I make out.

MPLamont
Level 3
No luck.

I had a look at the affected systems found that the .net versions were different.  I updated the .net version and unistalled/reinstalled the Management control (including reboot).  Still no success.  Any other ideas?

M

criley
Employee Accredited
Did you ever try this?

Do you see any errors around the same time on the management server? Are you able to successfully run a manual publish from a different server/workstation?

greglike
Level 2
Just wondering if this ever got resolved  - I have the same issue on 5  W2003 Server clients that will not publish - finding no info on what this means. Also have 5 other W2003 clients that publish properly.

Error E339197C: An error occurred while publishing.

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Unable to register computer. String index out of range: -1 Unable to register computer. String index out of range: -1