cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR Remote Agents

js0873x
Level 2

I have recently installed BESR Server Edition 2010 on Windows Server 2003. I am trying to remotely deploy an agent on another non-server desktop machine. Every time I try adding a computer on the domain it attempts to, then asks me for the client machine's credentials, I enter them, and it always comes back with "This program is unable to communicate with the Backup Exec Recovery backup service on ...".  I've never gotten it to work. Should BESR be able to deploy an agent on another machine? Can I install the whole product on another machine and have it communicate with the server machine it's installed on?  How do I get this to work?

3 REPLIES 3

Ayush
Level 4

on the remote machine check if DCom Config is enabled 

go to start and run and type  DCOMCNFG now on this wiondow  Under the Component Services\Computers section right click on My Computer and select Properties, Now click Default properties Tab, Under this tab make sure that "Enable Distributed Com on this computer" shoud be checked. If it is alredy checked then follow the steps bellow.

1. Launch the “Component Services” console by running the command DCOMCNFG.

2.  Under the Component Services\Computers section right click on My Computer and select Properties .

3.  On the "COM Security tab", under the Access Permissions section click on Edit Limits.

4.  Add the administrator account that will be used to remotely manage the Windows Vista machine in BESR. Allow the account both Local Access and Remote Access.

5.  On the "COM Security" tab, under the Access Permissions section click on Edit Default.

6.  Add the administrator account from step 5. Allow the account both Local Access and Remote Access.

7. On the "COM Security" tab, under the Launch and Activation Permissions section add the administrator account from step 5 to both the Edit Limits and Edit Default fields. Allow the account both Local Access andRemote Access.

8. Click OK and exit out of the "Component Services" console

Ayush
Level 4

any updates?

js0873x
Level 2

Yes, and thanks for your help, but still no progress. Now I haven't rebooted the client machine after the additions  made but I'm doing that as I wrrte this. But what happens is I get this error when trying to deploy the agent:

Error E0D3EBC0: Cannot deploy the Agent to zzzz.
--zzzz,  Exception occurred: Attempt to copy package failed.
The file download was aborted abnormally.  The file is incomplete.

(UMI:V-281-211-60352)

The additions I made were for the administrator credentials of the server 2003, and then when attempting to deploy the agent I supplied the credentials of the administrator account on the desktop.

Also, I just did a reboot and still no success - same thing. If it comes to it, can I just install the whole BESR Server edition on the non-server desktop? I don't want to do that but I'd like to backup that machine.