cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR Restore anywhere, wont boot on new server

gjelsvik
Level 2
Partner

After a "Restore anywhere" recovery, the server wont boot up, it stays in "Setup is installing devices.." for about 48hours, then when finnished, it says "Setup is preparing your computer for first use." And there it hangs.. 

The OS is Win 2008 r2, the new server is a FSC TX200, where the old server was FSC TX150.

4 REPLIES 4

gjelsvik
Level 2
Partner

I can add that i have restored the same image to a laptop. I experience the same problem there.. "Setup is installing devices.. xx%" with slow progress (2 hours to get to 10%)

digsaw
Level 4

I had this same issue on a Windows 7 desktop and from what I've seen the same would apply to Windows Server 2008. On Windows 7 and Windows 2008 by default the local administrator account is now disabled when joined to a domain. BESR fails to complete the restore anywhere is that account is disabled and will sit on those screens forever. I have my Windows 7 box sit on that screen for 24 hours and then gave up.

Because I didn't have the luxury of taking another backup of my source Windows 7 box with the administrator account enabled I booted to a LiveCD with a hard password reset tool. This tool when resetting the local admin password, also enabled the admin password. I rebooted and it jumped through that screen in couple of minutes.

Windows 7 and Windows 2008 both disable the local admin account when joined to a domain. I would check here first.

gjelsvik
Level 2
Partner

Thanks!

That seems like a possible explanation. I found this document, wich says you would have to press SHIFT while clicking "Restore Anywhere" wich brings up a hidden menu, where you can choose to not run the Mini-setup.  I am doing a recovery like that right now. If that doesnt solve it, I will try your suggestion.

gjelsvik
Level 2
Partner

Booted up with a live cd, restored local administrator password. Now I get a error message telling that Windows could not be installed, and setup will continue after reboot.

So i tried a new recovery, with mini-setup disabled. And this solved it!

I followed this article: 

http://support.veritas.com/docs/351336