cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR Small Business Server 2003 won't accept License Key

bobarnett
Level 3

A few weeks ago I dowloaded/installed BESR Small Business Server 2003. I liked it and purchased a CD copy. I received it today and first tried entering in the License Key that was in the box into the already installed version. BESR said the key was invalid. I thought maybe it was because the one was downloaded and the key was for a "physical" copy so I uninstalled BESR and, using the DVD, installed it again. Unfortunately, it also will not accept the License Key. How can I get this to be licensed?

5 REPLIES 5

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
Is your server a Windows Small Business Server (SBS)?  The Small Business Server Edition will only accept its license on a SBS.  Only in evaluation mode will the SBS Edition will function on a non-SBS server.

bobarnett
Level 3
Well, that's a hoot. You're right, ours is the Standard version. Can you tell me if I can "upgrade" BESR to the Standard Server version from the Small Business Server edition?

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee

No, in order to switch to the Server Edition you will need to uninstall the SBS Edition and install the Server Edition.  You will also likely need to get a new set of CD's and license keys since you don't have a Windows SBS.

NicholasC
Level 4

How recent did you purchase the SBS version of BESR?

If within the last 30 days, then I would recommend contacting your reseller to do an RMA/re-order of the correct product.

If it has been more than 30 days, then a license transfer worksheet would need to be filled out by your reseller to determine the cost difference between BESR SBS and BESR Server

I would have to check, but I am about 99% certain that the same installer from File Connect/CD Media is used for SBS/Server/Desktop, it is just a matter of when you input your activation key, the software then checks the computer to see if it matches the requirements coded into the activation key

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Firefox is correct, the installer for Server, smallbusiness, and desktop is the same. Contacting your reseller or our sales depeartment http://www.symantec.com/business/contact_sales.jsp is best option to try now.