cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR System Recovery Disk

jcoz
Level 3
I am using Symantec BESR v8.5.1, and I have no option to create a custom SRD (System Recovery Disk). I need be able to load custom drivers to a Dell Optiplex 760 (NIC Intel 82567, required .inf e1k5132), and the current disk does not have the drivers on it (checked through the auto-validation utility on the disk). I have tried to load the driver before I start up the Networking inside the current recovery disk, and it confirms that the driver loaded. But  when launching the Networking, it fails (no matter which driver, correct or not) with a 'Symantec Recovery Disk: Could not get network adapters'. I have installed the 'CD/DVD Support' option with the custom setup CD. From the some of the other documentation I have read, there should be a 'Tasks' tab on the Main Side Bar of BESR Manager, but it is not present.

How do I get the option to create custom SRDs?

JCoz
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, you must have the GUI installed in order to do this. You can create the disk from any machine where BESR is installed. In an ideal situation, the custom disk would be created before you actually need to do a restore.

Please mark this thread as solved if you are happy with this response.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

criley
Employee Accredited
You don't use BESRM to create custom SRDs, you need to do this from a BESR client (go to Tasks - Create Recovery Disk).

Hope that helps.

jcoz
Level 3
I see, so the client has to have the application with the interface. That is odd that you would create an admin disk from a PC that is potentially unusable.

Thanks Chris,

JCoz

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, you must have the GUI installed in order to do this. You can create the disk from any machine where BESR is installed. In an ideal situation, the custom disk would be created before you actually need to do a restore.

Please mark this thread as solved if you are happy with this response.

jcoz
Level 3
Yes, that should be part of the strategy. In this particular situation, we were doing a restore to another new computer (the Dell 760) that was a dissimilar platform from the original (Dell 270). We are doing a bare-metal restore, right from the box. Hence, we had not had a chance to install the BESR software on the new platform - it had no OS. That is why we had not yet created a SRD with the particular drivers not on the original default disk. But, we found two other solutions as well. Since it was a full ATX case, we put a PCI NIC that the disk had drivers for. I have also changed the XML files, and added the drivers to the disk data manually and reburned it as an ISO. Both solutions worked.

Thanks,

JCoz 

vnavna
Level 3
I am unable to do the previous because we have the small form factor case with no empty slots to put in a different nic card.

I had the same problem and I created the disk right from the 760 PC. It came up with the same issues of "Could not get network adapters." after the  networking was started. I went to Dell's web site and downloaded the Windows 7 32 bit driver for the intel drivers and put it on a flash drive and carried it to the 760 PC while the bootable BESR interface was up. I then opened up a command prompt and installed the drivers while inside of the boot disk. It then was able to get an IP address and I was able to map a drive to my recovery location.

vnavna
Level 3
I did what you said and I still got the same issue even with BESR 2010.