Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR and MEGAIDE.sys driver

Deadpool328
Not applicable
Im doing a proof of concept for a customer of BESR

we are using the BESR 8.5.5 for WIndows 2003 Small Business Server 60 day eval

we installed and created the Backup File.

No we are booting with the SRD and we cannot see the Raid1 Logical Drive

and it seems to stem back to the SRD not able to use the MEGAIDE.sys driver that there motherboard utilizes.

According to this Symantec Document ID http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304592.htm
it is a known issue
and i can simply get a different SRD that utilizes the MEGAIDE.sys driver

I have contacted tech support and since eval NO GO.

how can i sell this stuff to them to use on 5 identical servers if i cannot prove it even works?

Can someone show me how to get the SRD boot cd with the megaide.sys drivers?

It would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

marcogsp
Level 6
Removing the iastorV.sys driver from the SRD would involve modifying the BOOT.WIM file.  The custom SRD process does not gives us direct access to removing drivers and registry entries from the BOOT.WIM file.  Personally, I wouldn't hack the WIM file, or pay for the Custom SRD just to help sell the product.

Unfortunately you are not alone.  There are folks reporting lack of help even with thousands of systems as potential points of installation.  Make sure to participate in the customer satisfaction surveys that Symantec occasionally sends out.  If enough people express their dislike of the no help policy with evaluation products, the  policy may get reversed.

criley
Employee Accredited
marcogsp is right. Removing drivers from the SRD is not a straightforward process and I'm not sure how much success we've had when removing this particular driver.

The real problem here is with the MegaIDE.sys driver because it has not been certified by Microsoft. I think that your best cause of action is to contact the hardware manufacturer involved (Intel?) and ask them if there are any plans to get this driver certified by Microsoft.

If you do decide to go down this route, please post back here with your results.