cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR client not showing backup job policy, Unable to PostThreadMessage; hr=718 -- . Connection to vprosvc cannot be made. IPPIManager::get_<container> failed; hr=8000000a -- .

ges87
Level 5

searching in besr manager for clients not showing as correctly backing up, i came across a few problems.

Apart from a few clients showing ERROR , (about this I was asking on this forum time ago, and now I found out that the problem was the fact that they were HYPER-V machines whose HD was stored on an SSD drive and even though chkdsk was not reporting errors for the file system there were some reading problems at hardware level, ticking "ignore read errors" solved the problem),

I came across a strange case. There is a BESR client, russing R2 SP4 on windows server 2012R2, that was not backing up because somehow it had no backup jobs, even though I was sure I created and assigned him a backup job. Checking in BESR manager confirmed that the backup policy was there, and it lookup as assigned to the client.

I have tried to delete and re-create the backup policy (still not assigning). Then I clicked "update configuration" in BESR manager on the client, to be sure that he had updated all the other configurations. then I assigned the new backup policy to the client, and clicked again on "update configuration". The client reported "configuration correctly updated". After this I opened BESR and the backup job was still not there.

Looking at BESR manager logs, I see a lot of error messages, that are essentially of 2 kinds:

<event date='Apr 30 10:06:05' severity='1' hostName='HV2' source='SSR Plug-in Agent' module='BackupAgent.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1516' thread='888' tickCount='395086078' >
  <![CDATA[Unable to PostThreadMessage; hr=718 -- . Connection to vprosvc cannot be made.]]></event>
<event date='Apr 30 10:06:07' severity='1' hostName='HV2' source='SSR Plug-in Agent' module='BackupAgent.dll' process='AeXNSAgent.exe' pid='1516' thread='2488' tickCount='395088031' >
  <![CDATA[IPPIManager::get_<container> failed; hr=8000000a -- .]]></event>

13 REPLIES 13

ges87
Level 5

I also noticed a lot of Event ID 7 in the windows event log. Dunno if this is connected.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried reinstalling the SSR Plugin?

criley
Employee Accredited

This type of issue is usually caused by a hang or crash in the Symantec System Recovery service.

Can you go into into services.msc and restart the above service? If it does not restart cleanly, you may need to reboot this machine and try again.

ges87
Level 5

the problem is there since february, tha machine has been rebooted several times, and the service also. Should i reinstall the plugin or SSR or both (and what order)?

criley
Employee Accredited

What version of the plugin is installed? Same question for version of the Management Solution.

Are there any events in the Windows application event log that show the service crashing?

ges87
Level 5

Plugin: 11.1.4.55332

SSR: 11.1.4.55331

there are some Event ID 100 that say: snapvolume operation not enabled for this volume (windows App LOG)

and thousands of Event ID 7: bad sector (windows System LOG)

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, so bad sectors might be corrected by running checkdisk?

ges87
Level 5

I tried chkdsk, but no result. They seem to be due to bad sectors showing up in smart data, see attached file

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, have you reinstalled only the SSR plugin yet?

ges87
Level 5

I was waiting for youre suggestion. So I should remove and install back the plugin (not SSR)? I will try today

ges87
Level 5

running chkdsk on the host stopped the EVENT 7 showing up in system registry, after that unistalling both the plugin and SSR and reinstalling them (apparently) solved the communication problem. Unistalling and reinstalling the plugin only was not enought, infact the plugin was not detecting SSR after reinstalling (and restarting both services)

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Lucky you! So may I ask you to mark this post as solved?

ges87
Level 5

yes

i was searching back the error numbers given by the clients who were failing to backup because of the bad sector on the host, to give them for future reference: I wanted to post them here before closing the discussion. I will search them later today and post them here, if I find them