cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR complaining about paging file - wants to run in recovery environment?

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

8.03 install on SBS 2003 and did all of the LiveUpdates. I schedule a backup and it says "This operation cannot be performed while Windows is running. You must complete this operation inside the recovery environment. Would you like to continue." I click yes, the backup stops. I start it again and it will back up.

Event 100 from Backup Exec System Recovery in the Application log:
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of  (C:\),  (D:\). Error E0BB001B: Cannot lock volume \\?\Volume{8d174ea0-36cb-11db-8a53-806e6f6e6963}\ because it contains the OS or has an active paging file.
Details: The volume contains system or paging files.

The paging file is on D: and I don't have the utility partition selected. I even went as far to show hidden drives and make sure that it was just C: and D: 

I can backup C: by itself but not D:. Suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

After a backup attempt run the following from a command line.

vssadmin list writers

You should see several writers along with their current state and last error. Normally they display as Stable with a last error of No error. If they show anything else, please submit a reply.

In the installation directory for Backup Exec System Recovery, C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\ by default, there is a batch file named fixinstall.bat, run this, reboot, and attempt the backup again.