cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR support for Exchange 2007 or not?

Kelvin_Lam
Level 4
Hello,

Since we will upgrade Exchange servers to Exchange 2007 ver. I would like to know BESR support Exchange 2007 or not? and any Exchange Retrieve Option to enable granular recovery?

Thanks,
Regards,
Kelvin

11 REPLIES 11

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes BESR 8.0 does support Exchange 2007 and also the Granular Restore.

1. Microsoft does not support installing Exchange 2007 server roles on a computer that has a 32-bit processor in a production environment. You can install Exchange 2007 server roles on a computer that has a 32-bit processor in testing and training environments only. We also support up to 5 database instances. It is supported to install the management tools on a computer that has a 32-bit processor; however, you must download the 32-bit version of Exchange 2007.

For more information please refer to the SCL
This document contains the software compatibility list (SCL) for Backup Exec System Recovery 8 and the BESR Integration Component for Altiris.

Kelvin_Lam
Level 4
Thank you for your reply :)

I want to test it before purchase the produce.

Any trial version including Granular option for download now?

Thanks,
Regards,
Kelvin

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
The link mentioned below has the trialware,white papers etc for BESR8

reza_akhlaghy
Level 4
Hi

I'm evaluating this option on BESR 8.0, I've Exchange 2007 cluster for mailbox role,
and I create a backup job for both Drive C: and clustered drive containing mailboxes
(in this case drive M:), when I open backup in Granular Restore program it says:

"Unable to find exchange information file (EIF)"

Any ideas?

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
reza,

Above is the link for this error.  Below is the information to check.

Check that the registry key below exists. If not create a new registry string value and enter the "Exchange Virtual Server Name". See example below:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery] "ExchangeServerName"="VServer1" (VServer1 is the "Exchange Virtual Server Name")
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996435.aspx

Cheers,
RichL

MDolfins
Level 3
My problem resides with GRO and SharePoint. I would like to use GRO to recover individual SharePoint documents. But after going back and forth for awhile with a Symantec Tech, he came to the conclusion that GRO will not work with SharePoint in a server farm configuration (I was using a trial version of GRO). Our farm consists of a SQL server, Index server and two frontends. The tech said that GRO has to be able to see SharePoint and the data at the same time on the same server. Of course in the server farm, they are on separate servers. I know that the server farm configuration for SharePoint is pretty common, so I find it wild that GRO will only work for SharePoint in a single server configuration. This information was not available when I started researching the product. Has anyone else ran accross this problem and is the Tech I worked with correct? If he is correct, does anyone have any ideas for a workaround? I would like to purchase the product if it works in my environment.

TomMLS
Level 5
This appears to make GRO pretty useless for anything but tiny tiny SharePoint setups that do not use separate servers.

I have also not seen anything about whether GRO can back up and recover the SharePoint configuration databases in addition to the content database.

I have to take my SharePoint backup business elsewhere because Symantec did not create a GRO that meets the minimum expectations: 1) work seamlessly and appropriately in a SharePoint server farm environment; 2) apparently does not back up and recover the SharePoint configuration databases as well as the content databases, nothing is stated about the configuration databases in the PR/marketing literature.

Otherwise BESR is a good product.

Thank you, Tom

Donovan_Lewis
Level 2
This is the final straw for me. Tomorrow I'll confirm with Symantec that what you guys are saying about SBESR & a SharePoint Farm is true. If it is, and I'm sure it is, I'm going to start looking elsewhere for products that actually do the jobs I need them to do I'm a Symantec Reseller and I'm unable to honorably sell Symantec products to my customers. They're simply too limited and quirky. What's more you never find out about the limitations or quirks until it's too late. I test stuff in a lab before purchasing but a lab environment simply doesn't cover all scenarios. Who'd test SharePoint on multiple servers in a lab?

It's bad enough that Symantec markets their products as doing everything you need when they actually don't. But it's worse than that. They never clearly warn you about limitations. As a result you always find out the hard way.

Bye, bye Symantec.

MDolfins
Level 3
I did confirm with Symantec that GRO was not designed with the SharePoint "Server Farm" in mind. Since then they have been working with me to find a work around. This work around innvolves registry changes, but I have not had any success as of this writing. Of course they also informed me that since the server farm configuration is not supported, assistance would be limited.

Donovan_Lewis
Level 2
Thanks for the confirmation. I did some research after I submitted the post last night. I've decided to go with Data Protection Manager 2007 from Microsoft.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Typical SharePoint farms setups is being considered for this option. I put in a request for more information on the status of this request and will update this thread as soon as I can.